Allocating drive letters to new Hard-drives

Baxi 12:32 19 Sep 04

I have fitted a new HDD, the system recognises it (details show in SETUP after hitting DEL during bootup), but will not allow me to allocate it a drive letter and so use it. Those boxes are greyed out.
I have now 2 HDDs, a CD ROM, CD-RW, and a floppy.

This must me an easy one for you experts??

can you educate me?

Thanks.

pj123 12:37 19 Sep 04

What operating system have you got. If it is win98 you cannot alter the drive letters.

pj123 13:08 19 Sep 04

Via email. "Thanks for replying so quickly to my pcadvisors, question. To answer your question; it is Win98SE I have, but if WIN98 is supposed to allocate the drive letters, then why does it not do that when the system can 'see' the new drive? Thanks again."

If the hard drive is being detected in the BIOS but not in windows then that suggests to me that it has not been Fdisk, Partitioned and Formatted.

You would need to do this before it can be used. Download a bootdisk from click here

Zak 13:34 19 Sep 04

For: Microsoft ® Windows ® 95, Windows ® 98 and Windows ® ME this link will give you a free download of this excellent software. I have now been using it foe 9 months no problems. It does what it says.

click here

Zak 13:39 19 Sep 04

I think I have misread the query. Have you formatted, partitioned new drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…