To All you experts out there.

geordielad307 07:40 15 Aug 03

I would just like to thank all the many people who give of their time to help people like myself, who are almost completely lost with computer problems. So many times I have been rescued. I am sure we " novices" must be a pain in the **** to some of you guys, but you never cease to amaze me with your almost immediate response to a new posting. I wonder if some of you ever go to bed. :-))
Sometimes you get a bit angry when people don't state the systems that they are using...but please be patient...... some of us have no idea what you are talking about when you ask these "mundane", to you, questions.
Anyway, enough of that. A million thanks to you all. You are a real credit to your pastime / hobby / interest. Bill.

viki 08:00 15 Aug 03

i have email id of 1000 people , i want them to mail in one go , mail mail server rejects saying that too many recipents can you help what can be done

On behalf of everyone, novices and "experts" alike, thanks for that.

We have all been "novices" at some point and you too will begin to offer advice and help to others as you become more experienced or even if you have encountered a problem that has been solved and see someone with the same problem, you will be able to help them in your new found "Expert" mode.

Again, thanks from all on PCA.

Forum Editor 09:09 15 Aug 03

that your message will warm the hearts of all our forum helpers, and on their behalf - thank you.

As for your request viki, you've posted it in someone else's thread, but in any case don't do what you are planning to do.

Unless you know them, or they have previously indicated their willingness to receive unsolicited mail from you, what you intend doing to those 1000 people is classed as spamming, and you must not do it.

powerless 19:26 15 Aug 03

Smile :-)

Peverelli 20:41 15 Aug 03

As Smiffy99 points out, we were all novices once and many of us have learnt so much from this site. I've solved many a niggling problem just by browsing here and, of course, if I see somebody else with the same problem then I'll share my 'knowledge' with them. You'll find that everybody knows something that someone else does not, so you could be helping out a bit sooner than you thought you would. Thanks for your comments, it makes it all a little more worthwhile.

PS: ".. Sometimes you get a bit angry when people don't state the systems that they are using ..."

It's not a case of getting angry, it's because different systems need different solutions.

geordielad307 13:05 09 May 04
  Forum Editor 13:19 09 May 04

It crops up often enough, and it's a perfectly valid request, but I've never yet read a book on computing that has been interesting enough to get me past the first few pages. It's a product of the subject matter I suppose - computers are pretty dull things when you get under the bonnet.

The mechanics of computing are pretty straightforward in fact; all computers have the same basic components, and they all work in much the same way - it's when you get to the software that it becomes really interesting.

There are plenty of free tutorials available online, and here are a few good ones:

click here

click here

click here

click here

You might find them interesting to start with, you can expand your knowledge of specific areas of computing as you gain speed - just type some keywords into a search engine like Google and add the word : tutorial.

Unless i am mistaken, i believe that 'Vicki' post was a tongue in cheek swipe at some requests for help. LOL, well either that or a budding spammer in the making.

end 13:25 09 May 04

this appears to be a "repost" of an "old" thread...BUT,,, as a "novice" myself,I would like to echo MY thanks to all the experts on the Forum, ; am sure most of you lot NEVER sleep, and the "knowledge" and "patience" that is "out there" never ceases to amaze me as I read through some of the threads....as another thread says, the advice and guidance are given "free"...THANKS to ALL......this novice appreciates it..as I am sure others do too.....I do wonder if you have "warning pings" that tell you when a new topic is posted......

bof:) 13:57 09 May 04

Hi All,

Hear hear to the sentiments expressed, I've lost count at the amount of times myself, my neighbours and friends and family have been helped out by the experts on this site.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…