For all you converts to Firefox.

LastChip 01:04 15 Jul 04

A thread I contributed to a while back, sadly has been locked, but it concerned a Spell checker for use in Firefox.

At the time, I suggested TinySpell, which works just fine, but have now discovered an alternative, that works almost the same as ieSpell in Internet Explorer.

click here for information and the download. Please note, you need to download the Language Pack and Dictionary as well as the program, but the whole lot takes just seconds.

Once you have written your message in the Firefox browser, just right click and select the spell checker, and it will check the whole piece for you, advising of errors and suggesting replacements.

The advantage with this program, is TinySpell uses an American Library, with this program, you can download whichever language is natural to you.

As an example, this post has been checked by the program, and found all the errors that you would expect (plus some I didn't)!

hillybilly 01:15 15 Jul 04

Perhaps just a bit off your thread, but what will firefox actually do for me? it's a name I've only heard mentioned in the last few weeks! What am I missing?

LastChip 01:30 15 Jul 04

It all came about because of the widely publicised security flaws in Internet Explorer, and some suggestions were made for alternatives.

In general, I am very happy with Firefox, and at the moment it seems to be more secure than IE. It also has some very nice features not found in IE. For example, one that appeals to me is being able to increase the font size in increments just by using Ctrl (+) +. When using high definition screen settings, one of the disadvantages is, the fonts shrink in size, sometimes making the screen difficult to read. It also supports tabbed Browsing. In other words, you don't need multiple Windows open, just a new tab, which opens faster and uses less system resources.

Recommended. Try it for yourself. click here Although it says its in beta form (which is true), my experience is, it's more stable than IE.

hillybilly 01:37 15 Jul 04

I'll give it a go! Cheers!

Chegs ® 01:46 15 Jul 04

To make these pages easier to read with my resolution set to 1600x1200 I used to use Opera(as it had autorefresh too)as my main browser.I tried Firefox,it doesn't have this feature.Then I went over to Avant.Its very similar to IE,and has autorefresh,but reading text was nigh impossible until I had altered "Tools/Internet Options/Accessibility,and ticked the "Ignore font sizes specified on web pages" box.TinySpell does my checking,bleeping to alert me of errors(and I'm a reasonable speller anyway)so infrequently I'm not sure if it's Brit or a Yank "speaker" ;-)

dagwoood 02:08 15 Jul 04

Thanks for that LastChip, this is the type of extension I have been hoping would become available for Firefox as my spelling is bud ;-)

daz

Rigga 09:08 15 Jul 04

Very usefull thanks for that.

I doubt I could go back to IE now I've used firefox for some time.

Even though in the latest version 0.9.2 I can't seem to get flash to work... which is no great loss.. ;-)

R.

TomJerry 09:30 15 Jul 04

great

Diodorus Siculus 10:30 15 Jul 04

And a question:

is the firefox site overburdened at the moment? It seems to be having problems.

click here

Thanks.
Filed to my postings.

christmascracker 12:43 15 Jul 04

brilliant!! Thanks LastChip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…