All XP processes duplicated

This is a weird one.

My system has XP running on it and was fine up until a few days ago. Now it takes ages to boot up and I get lots of rundll and other errors. If I go into the task manager once everything has finished there are two, three or four of every process, and I mean every process. The system is running at 100% and it takes ages to do even the simplest task like open My Computer.

I have checked the registry and there is only one of each program being run. Msconfig looks normal. If I boot up in Safe Mode everything is normal.

This must be a virus of some sort but Norton doesn't pick anything up (takes nearly a day to run).

Apart from reloading windows is there anything else I can do. I have never heard of this happening before.

Thanks in advance

terryf 11:55 13 May 06

Have you tried the free panda virus checker at click here also the free a-squared at click here plus AVG free at free.grisoft.com/

gudgulf 12:09 13 May 06

Have you tried System Restore back to before the problem?

I have an up-to-date version of Norton running, and this comes back clean, eventually. I honestly don't think that I will be able to install anything else on this system. I need to work with what I've got.

System Restore won't work. It just comes up with an error window and never runs.

What can cause the system to run 2 or more of everything? I for one have never heard of this happening. Can anybody explain how it is even possible?

gudgulf 14:23 13 May 06

From task manager what are the processes that are using the processor most?........that might give a clue to the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…