All Windows update fail

claluc 19:04 15 Oct 08

Am running Win XP Home SP2, I lately had a Trojan horse logged into Zone Alarm so I cleared it, uninstalled ZA and went to re install.
This failed due to file Sxs.dll missing.
Went to Win Update to see if there was a way of putting things straight and found out that there are 99 Win critical updates that I need to install. Strange as my automatic updates was always turned on and never reported any missing update.
They all download properly but when getting to installation poit they all fail, report states 99 updates failed to install.
Have tried some non critical ones and result is the same.
It seems that Win is refusing to install any sort of update on my PC.
Is there a way to sort this out?

hiwatt 19:23 15 Oct 08

Try this click here

User-1229748 19:25 15 Oct 08

does it give you an error number?

claluc 22:26 15 Oct 08

hiwatt: this is a classic "all free" program that asks you to pay for it to work, thanks for your help but no thanks, I have had problems with this kind of stuff in previous instances.
There must be some sort of genuine fix, if not i'd rather pay for a backup and reload Win from scratch.

smackheadz: only error number isd when I try to load ZA, tells me can't do because of file Sxs.dll 5.1.2600.3295 is missing.

No error messages when updates fail

T I M B O 22:52 15 Oct 08

sfc /scannow might be a good plan.

phono 23:01 15 Oct 08

Download, install and run Malwarebytes anti malware from click here the paid for version only adds 'real time' protection but otherwise the free version will remove anything it finds.

Report back on the results.

MAJ 00:00 16 Oct 08

Download the file from click here although it is a different version of the file, it should allow your updates to install. My sxs.dll file is newer than the version you quoted but is the same size as the version in the download I pointed to. Do the above if sfc /scannow, as suggested by TIMBO, doesn't replace the file. It should be saved to the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.

hiwatt 10:12 16 Oct 08

Really it asks you to pay?I used the same program from this link click here and it fixed the problems I was having with updates.

kdt 10:20 16 Oct 08

agree with hiwatt

Rahere 10:42 16 Oct 08

I think the first link you gave was to majorgeeks a general software download site not the writer's site which is lunarsoft..no worries though as we have the correct link now!

hiwatt 10:59 16 Oct 08

Yeah it was.I thought it would have been the same (free)program though.Oh well.Nevermind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5