All Usernames vanished from XP Home Logon Screen

paranomia 11:21 08 Oct 04

Hi All - Switching on my laptop this morning I am faced with the logon screen which normally has a username for me and a general name is blank. I have tried to log in using the CTRL/ALT/DEL*2 login but it refuses anything other than the general login - which has no rights at all! I can't log in as Administrator either. I need this machine urgently for work (in an hour!!!)
Any advice would be really helpful...

paranomia 16:31 08 Oct 04

bump!

jg1990 16:42 08 Oct 04

Have you tried logging on in safe mode?

paranomia 17:12 08 Oct 04

Hi jg1990 - I have, the result is exactly the same, the only difference being that the screen is smaller.

jg1990 17:29 08 Oct 04

Do you have an XP disc?

If you do boot up from it and choose the option to repair, this will just repair the operating system without deleting your files.

paranomia 21:21 08 Oct 04

Thanks jg1990, I have just managed to sort it out.. After the umpteenth attempt to log in as admin in safe mode, it has let me into a mis-spelled administrator login. I have rolled back to a previous point successfully.

I am learning to breath again!! :) Thanks for all the help.

jg1990 21:24 08 Oct 04

Pleasure, anymore trouble please post again.

Regards,
James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…