To all those that are interested in linux!

soy 23:59 04 Jun 03

If your interested in installing Linux operating system. This link will take you to a site where you can download many different flavours of Linux and get help.

click here

(If this link has been posted before, i'm sorry. Just that alot of posts on linux seems to have flared up recently).

powerless 00:07 05 Jun 03

TY, Already have Redhat and mandrake and knoppix but the others interesting.

jospar 00:18 05 Jun 03

thanks Soy

been pondering wather to do it for a while now, but because its realy in the lines of something to tax the brain, thats why I dont really want to put a lot of expence into it, so far whats really being stopping me is that combining xp with linux on one hard drive, as at the moment hubby got a lot of course work to do or should I say for me to type up, so I don't want any really long down time.

Just had a thought here, if long down time, it might be easier to presude for new and bigger hdd!

Kitz E Kat 08:26 05 Jun 03

Why not get a Hard Drive Caddy, it is the buis. I have my "main" drive ie clean, with XP and have a second drive with allsorts? With the caddy you can swap out a drive in seconds, no messing about in the dark recess of your omputer and it allows you to "play " with different OS's
Soy , gonna check out that site thanks
Kitz E Kat

Kitz E Kat 08:30 05 Jun 03

Just checked out that site, and alladins cave of linux!!! One question the yellow dog distro, is that compatible with the Mac, i know there is a distro for the mac, it says on the site that the yellow dog distro is for PC architecture, any ideas??
Kitz E Kat

soy 10:02 05 Jun 03

I'm not sure about Linux running on MAc's but I went to the yellow Dog site and it does seem that the distro will work on Macs. click here

Taran 10:35 05 Jun 03

Knoppix or DemoLinux used to be available for the Mac on a bootable CD which allowed you to set up a RAM drive on a MAC and use Linux without actually installing it to the Mac hard drive.

Not too much point in this if you ask me, since the OS runs from CD via memory you don't get to make any custom changes to the environment and keep them.

If you want the benefits of Linux applications running on a Mac, all you need is a lovely utility called Fink click here which allows you to ru the applications that ship with Linux on your Mac.

I tried Debian linux on an iBook a few weeks ago as a short term experiment and it worked with some interesting jiggery pokery involved to get it doing what it was supposed to do.

Quite why anyone would want to run Linux on a Mac is something else entirely. Unless you're a major league geek (like me) or have some pretty exotic requirements, the latest Mac OS is so nice to work with I fail to see the point of Linux on a Mac.

Finally, here's a couple of links for "Slackintosh" which is an odd mix of Slackware Linux files compiled for power PC so will run on your Mac, and Gentoo click here who also offer PPC downloads.

Good luck with it.

Taran 10:38 05 Jun 03

"here's a couple of links" and I only posted the one...

It would have helped if I'd included the Slackintosh link wouldn't it ?

click here

zanwalk 10:52 05 Jun 03

And while we are in the mood for providing links, here is a site that charges just £2 per CD for Linux, and has a good range also:

click here

No excuse for not trying it now is there...!

Tesman 10:57 05 Jun 03

Yellow Dog, as I understand it, is basically Red Hat for Macs. If you can get hold of a copy of Linux Format magazine for May 03, there's an interesting article on triple-booting Yellow Dog, Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.

I understand that Mandrake, Gentoo and SuSE also produce Mac versions of their particular flavours of Linux.

Anyway, what I was going to post before I got distracted with all this Mac talk is a link to a good vendor of Linux CDs:-

click here

They may not be the "cheepest" out there, but I've had excellent servive from them.

Tesman 10:58 05 Jun 03

Or excellent service, even....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…