All of a sudden my cd and dvd drives are not recom

mesmd 07:21 27 Jan 05

Hi again you guys,
This has hapenned in the past but seems to correct itself, then reoccur. All of a sudden my computer will not recognize one of the cd drives or dvd drives. When this happens, obviously I can not access the cd or dvd drives. I never really understood why and since at the time I was not using them much and the problem would clear up by itself. Now, I'm in the middle of backing up some of my movie dvds and when I sat down to use the computer tonight, the DVD and CD drives were not recognized! Do you know what I can do to fix this rather than waiting for it to fix itself as in the past.
Thank you Very much for any help.

P.S. The computer is a pent 4 1.7ghz with 512mb ram running win98se with sp1 still installed

BurrWalnut 09:56 27 Jan 05

This sometimes works if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.

Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt backup the registry first.

Cuddles 10:10 27 Jan 05

Go to device manager remove entries for drives and reboot.

Stuartli 10:31 27 Jan 05
  mesmd 10:45 27 Jan 05

Thank you both BurrWalnut and Cuddles,
The problem, believe it or not, was a movie dvd titled "Three Blind Mice"!!! When I placed a different dvd movie into the dvd drive E: it started the movie with power dvd player. Then I stopped the movie leaving the dvd in drive E: and clicked my computer from the desktop. I rt. clicked E: and it was accessable and showed the contents of the new movie files when explored. I then copied the movie and placed another movie in the dvd drive and it is still recognized. However, when I put the original movie, "THREE BLIND MICE" in the drive again, it's still inaccessible. I guess that movie does not like the plextor burner on the win98se, however when placed in a winxp Sony dvd burner it starts right up!!
I guess it wants to be copied in a Sony burner!!! Thanks to you both for responding so quickly to my question and I will try both your suggestions.

mesmd 10:57 27 Jan 05

Stuarti, thank you also. I must have posted my last message at the time you sent yours. I read the thread about the guy losing his access to his cds after installing sp2. I still have not installed that trash inspite of most authorities saying it's mandatory. I just equip my sp1 with a good av program, dual hard and software firewalls, and several anti spy and adaware programs.

Stuartli 12:21 27 Jan 05

It was more the point about loose leads or connections that was important - too many are all too quick to blame anything and everything on SP2...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…