All settings lost

Done and dusted 16:08 20 May 10

My computer is doing crazy things. It has lost all the settings I have input i.e. ICC profiles for Photoshop. It has removed my identities in Outlook Express. It has changed my home page on the internet to MSN. It has changed the appearance of my desktop and removed shortcuts from it. I have lost all my Internet Favourites. In fact everything I seem to have 'personalised' has been lost. I get a warning bar near to the top of the page telling me my security settings need fixing to access the internet. I am currently working on another user account to overcome this and because my user account (administrator) is completely erratic. I thought I may have a virus but Norton 360 seems to be working fine and hasn't detected anything. Help please and basic help at that because I'm no techie!

rawprawn 16:15 20 May 10

click here
Download, update and run Malwarebytes in Safe mode if possible

Done and dusted 16:18 20 May 10

OK, any other ideas anyone?

rawprawn 16:55 20 May 10

Well,what did it find, and did it solve your problem?
It's not clear as you are still asking for other ideas.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:16 20 May 10

System restore to a time before you got the warning bar.

The warning bar sounds like malware.

Done and dusted 18:54 20 May 10

Unfortunately I can't log onto the internet as administrator to download the program like you said - it won't let me and when I try to download as another user it says only the administrator can do that. Also when I log on to the administrator account when I press the key to type @ it types " and vice versa. Is it a virus? Is it malware? Why isn't Norton 360 detecting it?

rawprawn 19:16 20 May 10

Can you download MWB onto a pen drive using a friends computer?
Have you tried a system restore? (Do it from Safe Mode)

Done and dusted 19:22 20 May 10

Great idea - I'll try it with my son's laptop if and when he arrives home. Haven't tried system restore as I haven't created back up since I first had the computer (what an idiot!) and I don't really want to go that far back. Thanks for your help and watch this space.

rawprawn 19:27 20 May 10

What Operating System are you using?
It may be quicker and easier to do a Repair Installation. For example Vistaclick here
But before that it's worth trying a system File Check, this will replace any damaged or corrupt system Files.
Open the command Prompt using right click and choose "Run as Administator" at the prompt type sfc /scannow the hit Enter

Dark Mantis 22:22 20 May 10

Hi
It sounds like you have an infection. Is your anti-virus up to date and have you run a scan recently?

palinka 10:45 21 May 10

The computer will have created System Restore points automatically from time to time, without you doing anything; so there may be one not too far back. But make sure you use one that is definitely before your problem began.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…