All programs menu very slow to load

petermac 14:04 09 Mar 04

Hi, I have a very annoying problem in that when I select Start - All programs, the menu is very (very!) slow to load I get a grey box the same size as the menu as soon as I click on the button but it can take up to 20 seconds for the full menu to be displayed. Once loaded everything works fine unless I try to reload the menu again for whatever reason when it takes an age to load again.
I can recall that there was a registry setting that can be amended to change the delay time in Windows ME which I used once but I have now upgraded to XP and I have no idea if this is still possible and if it is what the reg key would be.
I would be very gratfull if anyone has any idea on how to speed up the menu's display time

keverne 21:44 09 Mar 04

You don't say what spec your machine is but I get the same effect on my Athlon 1400. Just a minor nuisance in my opinion.

Jester2K 21:49 09 Mar 04

click here

TweakUI can alter the setting... Its under Mouse.

You SHOULD be able to speed the menu up by clicking the menu at each stage.

Pesala 21:49 09 Mar 04

In Windows ME the registry key is called MenuShowDelay. The value of mine is 400 milliseconds. I am not sure, but I think in XP you may be able to alter this from Control Panel. Check the registry. If the value is over 1000 = 1 second, it might be the cause of your problem.

Run, regedit, find, ShowMenuDelay

VoG II 21:51 09 Mar 04

Start, Run, type in

Regedit

and click OK.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Select MenuShowDelay from the list on the right.

Right on it and select Modify.

Change the value to 400

Reboot.

woodchip 21:53 09 Mar 04

First SCANDISK your DRIVE then DEFRAG, then check what is running at startup from Start\Run type MSCONFIG press enter look at the startup tab and remove as many programs that you can without removing AV and system folder

woodchip 21:54 09 Mar 04

PS also clear out TEMP files etc

powerless 21:58 09 Mar 04

If you have alot of apps = app folder on the start menu that can also cause a slow down.

Jester2K 22:01 09 Mar 04

If Powerless is correct then reorganise your menu into sub-groups, ie Games, Utilities, System Tools, Graphics Editing etc etc etc

petermac 17:26 11 Mar 04

thankyou for all your help it was much appreciated

HeddaLora 19:56 11 Mar 04

Besides settings (as mentioned above), whenever I hear of anything slowing down, the first things I think of are (a) delete .tmp files (c:\windows\temp\, and temporary internet files while you're at it) and (b) defrag. I recommend using Diskeeper (click here) since it won't restart every time it encounters an open file or program.

Hedda Lora

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…