All-in-One Printer/Scanner on Parallel Port

MedMan 15:19 12 Sep 04

My neighbour wants to buy a cheap all-in-one printer/copier/scanner but his computer is an old lap-top with no USB ports. It is running Windows 98.

Does anyone know of a cheap all-in-one which will run through a parallel port?

pj123 15:36 12 Sep 04

Don't know of any but there are Parallel to USB converters: click here

spuds 15:55 12 Sep 04

Most printers nowadays are converted to USB only. I would suggest that a visit to PC World or your local newspaper could be the possible answer.

Pesala 16:02 12 Sep 04

Hard to find a multi-function device. A decent parallel port printer is not so hard to find though: click here

I would suggest buying that (about £85), then buy a digital camera for about £50. This combination is more flexible unless your friend intends only to scan documents for OCR. One can still photograph documents for OCR, but it is arguably less convenient.

spuds 16:43 12 Sep 04

Out of curiousity I have just completed a Google search. Some interesting facts have appeared. If you click here you will find 1183 paralel port printers from 285 shops, with price range from about £60 to £00000. Didn't bother to look for an all-in-one, leave that to you!.

spuds 16:50 12 Sep 04

Correction: That should have been 11832 parallel port printers from 285 shops.

If you check the bottom of the pages, there are links to 3in1 plus other combination type printers.

Pesala 18:36 12 Sep 04

(>_<) I never could understand internet searches very well.

Searched for "inkjet printers parallel port": Showing 1-20 of 25468 results (from 304 shops)

MedMan 19:00 12 Sep 04

I have looked at these, but as far as I can see they all allow an old printer with a parallel port to be plugged into a new computer with a USB port - not vice versa. My neighbour wants to plug a new all-in-one printer with a USB port into an old computer with a parallel port.

Pesala 19:21 12 Sep 04
  Pesala 19:26 12 Sep 04

Printer drivers for modern printers often require more memory than older software. Better check the system requirements for the driver that comes with the multifunction device your friend wants to buy.

e.g. System specs required for Epson CX3200 click here

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP: Pentium 233MHz; 64MB RAM; 200MB HDD Space

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:27 12 Sep 04

A USB PCI card will cost approx £12 should come with drivers for win98se if not USB support click here

This will alow you to add your all-in-one device plus any other usefull usb device i.e. mice, keyboards, card readers, cameras, external drives, and even an aquarium.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…