All-in-one printer (Lexmark X5150)

User-394903 17:14 31 Dec 05

Several attempts to send a fax using the above printer was made following the users manual instructions that came with the printer. At the end of each attempt, a message that referred to a port being unavailable was received. Anyone have any ideas what can be the problem.

I am running WinXP Home with SP2 and broadband.

All other aspects of the printer work fine.

Regards

Digijack

Carbonara 17:19 31 Dec 05

Have you got it plugged into your phoneline? Not just a USB connection.

mattyc_92 17:24 31 Dec 05

I have the "X2250" version of the All-In-One models.

I haven't bothered trying the "fax" option on mine, but I have noticed that you have to tick a little box during setup in order to use the printer for this.

Can you recall ticking this button?

pj123 17:30 31 Dec 05

You can't send faxes over Broadband. You need an analogue modem. The Lexmark X5150 (as far as I know) does not have fax facilities. Only printing, scanning and copying.

click here
so you cannot send a fax via this printer.

Stuartli 17:41 31 Dec 05

You are probably referring to the Fax Printer driver.

Broadband cannot be used to send or receive faxes - you need a fax dialup modem. Perhaps you still have one on your system or lying around somewhere?

Connecting one to a telephone extension cable would do the trick.

spuds 17:55 31 Dec 05

I have the Lexmark X5150, and you will require the installation cd, as the fax facility option is hidden away on the cd. It is not a case of just using the fax button on the printer facia.I would mention that I contacted Lexmark on this issue, and in the end I didn't bother with it, because I found that other downloads were required.

As previously mentioned, you will need a dial-up service and modem for the fax facility.

You could consider one of these: click here click here click here click here click here

User-394903 01:30 01 Jan 06

Thank you everyone for your contributions and responses to my question.

Using the fax facility is just something I thought I would try. What does unsettle me a little is that, nowhere in the users manual is there any referrence made to the fact that a fax cannot be sent if you have broadband.

They (Lexmark) mush think that ordinary people are already aware of thish. I better carry on partying.

Happy New Year to all

digijack

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5