All games run slow and jerky

ratters 20:27 09 Dec 04

I have just done a clean reinstall of Windows ME and have updated my Nvidia drivers and Direct X and installed Java but even the simplest games and crosswords take ages to load and are extremely jerky when played. I can't think what else I can do. I have ticked all the Java boxes in the internet options section.
Any suggestions?

Technotiger 21:13 09 Dec 04

Hi, perhaps you need more RAM, 512Mb is not terribly expensive these days. Just a thought. Cheers.

kakellie 23:15 09 Dec 04

sounds like your graphics card drivers are not installed properly uninstall them do a restart and reinstall or try a older nvidia driver or it could be your internet connection is every thing elase ok.

ratters 19:34 10 Dec 04

I have just reinstalled the drivers and nothing has changed. I'm pretty sure I've got enough RAM. Do you think it could be the card itself? I hope not - I really don't want to go delving inside the case. It is a Time pc and I can't even see how to get into the bloomin thing!
Any more ideas would be gratefully received.
Thanks

Totally-braindead 19:45 10 Dec 04

When you did a clean install did you reinstall the motherboaed drivers before you installed the drivers for anything else?

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 19:47 10 Dec 04

use a program called detornator destroyer to remove all old graphics drivers what card do u have sometimes if u dont remove all of the old graphics drivers you get problems as I did

fourjays 21:28 10 Dec 04

What type of games are we talking about here?

You say the games are jerky, but you also mention Java?

Are they internet games or PC-CDROM games?

woodchip 21:31 10 Dec 04

You need a better Graphics card that also as more memory on it. Not system memory

fourjays 21:33 10 Dec 04

Also, do you know your system specs?

Thanks. :)

kakellie 23:51 10 Dec 04

what are your specs for you pc.
e.g.
graphics card
processor
memory
hard-drive

ratters 16:27 11 Dec 04

My graphics card is Nvidia TNT2 model 64
Processor is AMD Athlon 900
I have 256 RAM
The games I refer to are web-based like interactive crosswords and word games. Also solitaire games
I ran a benchmarking program and most of my RAM has disappeared! I have disabled system restore and closed down virtually everything but am still getting out of memory error messages. (This started happening yesterday) I ran adaware but there are no nasties on my system.
I am getting more and more baffled and grumpy!
Would be most grateful for any advice.
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…