all files corrupt - rogue pc

howard64 10:29 21 Sep 08

I am attempting to fix a pc for a friend. It is an HP pavilion P4 XP home sp2. The original hard disk died and a replacement has been installed. The 5 HP recovery cd set bought from HP for £100 approx do not set XP home up properly. The disks appear to do the job but on rebooting at the end of the process XP fails to run. I have installed XP home from another CD with his cd key. The pc now runs but when asked to download anything from either the net or known good cd's it stops with the message file is corrupt. When you try to run internet explorer almost every time it fails and you get the message report this fault to ms? I have run sfc /scannow but it runs through with no problems. I have tried different strips of ram with the same results. I am begining to believe that either the P4 chip or the mobo are faulty. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:34 21 Sep 08

If chip or mobo faulty then you would have very many more problems

Looks like you have a problem with EXPLORER

Stop Back Ground Intelligent service reboot the PC and then restart the service switch it to Automatic.

Have you install the services packs?

howard64 12:37 21 Sep 08

thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ it loads as sp2 but all updates so far have been 'corrupt' I am reinstalling windows at this moment and will do as you suggest when it is back up and running. Cheers

Pineman100 13:27 21 Sep 08

If HP charged £100 for disks to reinstall XP and it's not installing properly, I would be leaning on them pretty hard.

howard64 15:21 13 Oct 08

I have now found that it was a memory module giving all the trouble. It passed all memory tests that I ran on it. It was only after fitting 2 new modules that it allowed a complete installation from the HP disks. Thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced