All Extension Files Missing!?!?!?!

Modumus Prime 12:04 14 Jun 04

HELP!

I using Windows XP & being bored i must of deleted either a file or folder because now ALL my shorcuts, even for Command Prompt, etc say that they can't find the file extension and to pick a program from a list even for RUNDLL32!

I've tried using the XP Restore CD to 'repair' Windows without loosing my documents but this has made no difference but i'm at last chance saloon before completely re-installing windows & thus losing my documents, settings, etc - can anyone help?????

Eric10 15:27 14 Jun 04

See if this helps. click here

Gongoozler 15:39 14 Jun 04

Hi Modumus Prime. I can't offer any clever cure for your problem, but I think pobably the registry has been damaged. With XP I think a system restore should resolve this unless the damage is such that even that doesn't work. In any case, formatting and reinstalling Windows needn't lose your or settings. If you have a second drive or partition you can copy all your documents to that, and I understand that software is available to enable you to save your settings. If you don't have a second drive or partition, then if your documents are valuable enough, you can get a small hard drive for not much more than £30. e.g. click here. Install this as your master drive, load Windows on it, copy your documents onto it, format your old drive. Then swap the drives over so that the new small drive is slave and your old drive is master and install Windows back to the old drive. Recover your documents, reformat your new small drive and use it as a backup drive. When you format your old drive, I suggest that you create a partition to store your documents, then in future if you have to reformat the C: drive, you won't lose your valuable documents.

johnsims 17:21 14 Jun 04

M P

Gongoozler has given you some seriously good advice. Suggest you follow that as it will do the job now and insure your computing future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…