All cards at Once?

sorceror7374 18:14 21 Jan 06

I'm building my own PC and was thinking it would be easier to install my graphics and audio cards right along with everything else and install all the drivers for everything after BIOS is set up and Windows goes on it. Is there any problems with doing it that way or should I start it up without the cards and tweak the BIOS first and load Windows, installing the cards and their driver later individually?

Forum Editor 18:23 21 Jan 06

one by one - starting with the graphics card - would give you the chance to install drivers in an ordered manner. If you boot with all the cards onboard you'll get a flurry of recognition dialogues from Windows XP. It isn't the end of the world if you do it that way, so take your pick.

If you slot the graphics card in first and then install the operating system you can add your other cards one at a time, and fiddle with the BIOS as and when you need to.

martjc 18:25 21 Jan 06

...there should be no need to address the BIOS! Build the machine, put all cards in and run Windows compatiblity program from your Windows CD. It will tell you if there are any problems with drivers for your cards. Even if you get poor results, you can usually find XP drivers for most cards.

I recommend Driverguide. Find it on the net.
Even if there are no XP drivers for a particular card, usually, Win 2000 drivers will work! Try it, you've nothing to lose.

Smiler 18:25 21 Jan 06

And if you get a problem as you fit each card you'll know which one caused it without having to remove the cards one at a time to find whichever may be causing any problem.

Smiler 18:26 21 Jan 06

Oops my response is supposed to be a follow on from the FE so fit the cards one at a time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…