Alexa ? Dialer ?

rawprawn 12:40 13 Jan 04

My friend has had a problem with a dialer, his phone bill showed 80 separate calls each lasting 4 seconds to a premium rate number.I told him to run Spybot & Ad-aware. Spybot turned up Alexa (he thinks) which was deleted. I think that the dialer has stopped, but my question is how can it run for only 4 seconds, is something stopping it? or was that it's mission in life. Is there any way to run a check to see if it is still there other than Spybot or Ad-aware,? unfortunately he has no idea what it was called so I can't search the registry for him.

Jester2K 12:45 13 Jan 04

Alexa isn't a dialler.

Without knowing what the actual cause of the 80 calls was its difficult to say why they occurred like that (ie 4 seconds each time) Perhaps its trying to be descrete to get away with it longer??

make sure SpyBot and Adaware are fully up to date and rescan..

rawprawn 13:39 13 Jan 04

Thanks for that, I have told him to update & rescan, I have also told him to look in msconfig/startup to see if there is anything that looks odd. I can't imagine why only 4 seconds, he is running Zone Alarm free version, & I did wonder if there was some sort of time lag between it dialing & ZA blocking ? although I doubt it. I will leave the thread open in case anyone else has had the same or similar problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac