Alexa ? Dialer ?

rawprawn 12:40 13 Jan 04

My friend has had a problem with a dialer, his phone bill showed 80 separate calls each lasting 4 seconds to a premium rate number.I told him to run Spybot & Ad-aware. Spybot turned up Alexa (he thinks) which was deleted. I think that the dialer has stopped, but my question is how can it run for only 4 seconds, is something stopping it? or was that it's mission in life. Is there any way to run a check to see if it is still there other than Spybot or Ad-aware,? unfortunately he has no idea what it was called so I can't search the registry for him.

Jester2K 12:45 13 Jan 04

Alexa isn't a dialler.

Without knowing what the actual cause of the 80 calls was its difficult to say why they occurred like that (ie 4 seconds each time) Perhaps its trying to be descrete to get away with it longer??

make sure SpyBot and Adaware are fully up to date and rescan..

rawprawn 13:39 13 Jan 04

Thanks for that, I have told him to update & rescan, I have also told him to look in msconfig/startup to see if there is anything that looks odd. I can't imagine why only 4 seconds, he is running Zone Alarm free version, & I did wonder if there was some sort of time lag between it dialing & ZA blocking ? although I doubt it. I will leave the thread open in case anyone else has had the same or similar problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…