Alcatel USB Broadband Modem

Kudu 09:51 02 Nov 03

My internet connection starts to slow down and eventually freezes and i have to disconnect the modem for 15 seconds as per BT's instructions (presume that it is build up of static as my Sky decoder does this occasionally). This has now got to the stage that i have to do this at least 3 or 4 times a day and it's really annoying when you are in the middle of doing something online.

Waiting for reply from BT about this problem.Anyone know if they would supply replacement modem? and if not, would it be better to buy one or try ISP who would give one free.To be fair i have never had any problems with BT Broadband.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:00 02 Nov 03

Except for cable, all broadband goes through BT, so there is no point in changing. The fault seems to be with the modem not the supplier.

I would ensure that the modem is well away from speakers and electrical apparatus (placing it on the top of the tower case is not recommended). I have also found that plugging ADSL USB modems into USB extension boxes can also cause problems, so make sure that it is plugged directly into the USB connectors on the PC case. You could also try placing the modem on a small piece of rubber matting or latex matting.

G

graham√ 10:13 02 Nov 03

Check in Device Manager that the modem is on a USB hub on its own. (A hub usually has two sockets).

Kudu 10:20 02 Nov 03

Morning.Modem is on the desk and not too close to anything and i also raised it about ?" for better airflow but it feels cool.This used to happen every 2 months but it's gradually got more frequent and it's now about 4 times a day.It's still connected the way it was 1? yrs. ago.Know of any good USB modems that do not have this fault ?

Kudu 10:24 02 Nov 03

It's on USB2 PCI card and nothing else plugged in to that.

Kudu 10:26 02 Nov 03

GANDALF <|:-)> should be graham√ sorry.

graham√ 10:30 02 Nov 03

No problem. Check in Device Manager for the Power properties of that USB hub, might be a clue there.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:33 02 Nov 03

I have Zoom and Sagem modems and apart from not liking USB extensions they do not display similar problems.

G

Kudu 10:37 02 Nov 03

Via USB 2.0 Root Hub Device.Drivers installed and no problems.

graham√ 10:44 02 Nov 03

Need to know the Power properties.

Kudu 11:35 02 Nov 03

Modem has been on three computers in it's lifetime and has always displayed this worsening fault.Been thinking about Pipex 1Mb for a while now and this is a good excuse as it's just ?4 more than i pay now.Thanks both for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…