Albatron GF7300GT AGP card problem

Giggle n' Bits 20:42 28 Jan 07

ok, now upgraded the AGP x4 128MB MX440 to a Albatron GeForce 7300GT AGP x8 256MB also changed from a 250w to a 350w then to a 450w psu and when powering on machine to XP Home desktop nvidia control panel window appears stating power insufficient for Graphics card.

The machine is a Compaq houseing a Asus nvidia chipset, AMD Athlon XP3200 2.08Ghz, 2x 512MB PC2700 333DDR, 1x HDD, DVD, DVD Wtr & FDD

tried looking on Albatron site but nothing stating power reqquirment for the PSU but i would have though a 7300GT 256MB should be ok with a 450w PSU.

The case has its own 4pin molex which is connected.

Using the latest Forceware 93.xx nvidia drivers and puzzled.

could my AGP card be faulty ?

gudgulf 21:01 28 Jan 07

"The case has its own 4pin molex which is connected."

I assume you mean the graphics card needs a 4 pin additional molex connector?

Check that the molex connection is fully seated(and try a different connector) and check that the graphics card itself is fully pushed home in its slot.New cards can sometimes need a firm push to locate correctly.

A 450W power supply should be more than enough.....I'm running a Gainward BLISS 7800GS+ card with a generic 460W psu (2x hard drives/2GB RAM?X-Fi sound card and 3.2GHz P4....it's also running [email protected] so is running at 100% continuously).

However....Have a look at the label on the side panel of the psu and check the +12V amperage rating....some cheaper power supplies can be rather liberal with their overall ratings.You need above 16Amps on that rail (20 or more is preferable)

Giggle n' Bits 00:07 29 Jan 07

This is my susupicion that the 4pin molex insnt seating properly will try it tommorrow. Will also inspect the 450w oem PSU.

Will report back.

keef66 11:32 29 Jan 07

my 6600 agp card runs quite happily on an Antec 380w psu and doesn't have an additional power connector.

I suspect your molex connector is not working for some reason.

Do you have any other spare connectors from the psu?

It it sharing a power lead with another device via a Y-splitter?

Giggle n' Bits 13:30 29 Jan 07

will take of the case cooling fan 4 pin molex and swap with the one connected to the AGP card now.

Giggle n' Bits 00:10 30 Jan 07

to AGP card and this cured it. Must have been a poor connection from a molex connector not quite grassping the pins within or maybe a bad earth.

Thanks as always M8t gudgulf & keef66 you hit the nail !

keef66 09:32 30 Jan 07

It's always easier to diagnose other people's problems from the warm security of a working pc, rather than when you have your head inside your own, non functioning tin box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…