Albatron GF7300GT AGP card problem

Giggle n' Bits 20:42 28 Jan 07

ok, now upgraded the AGP x4 128MB MX440 to a Albatron GeForce 7300GT AGP x8 256MB also changed from a 250w to a 350w then to a 450w psu and when powering on machine to XP Home desktop nvidia control panel window appears stating power insufficient for Graphics card.

The machine is a Compaq houseing a Asus nvidia chipset, AMD Athlon XP3200 2.08Ghz, 2x 512MB PC2700 333DDR, 1x HDD, DVD, DVD Wtr & FDD

tried looking on Albatron site but nothing stating power reqquirment for the PSU but i would have though a 7300GT 256MB should be ok with a 450w PSU.

The case has its own 4pin molex which is connected.

Using the latest Forceware 93.xx nvidia drivers and puzzled.

could my AGP card be faulty ?

gudgulf 21:01 28 Jan 07

"The case has its own 4pin molex which is connected."

I assume you mean the graphics card needs a 4 pin additional molex connector?

Check that the molex connection is fully seated(and try a different connector) and check that the graphics card itself is fully pushed home in its slot.New cards can sometimes need a firm push to locate correctly.

A 450W power supply should be more than enough.....I'm running a Gainward BLISS 7800GS+ card with a generic 460W psu (2x hard drives/2GB RAM?X-Fi sound card and 3.2GHz P4....it's also running [email protected] so is running at 100% continuously).

However....Have a look at the label on the side panel of the psu and check the +12V amperage rating....some cheaper power supplies can be rather liberal with their overall ratings.You need above 16Amps on that rail (20 or more is preferable)

Giggle n' Bits 00:07 29 Jan 07

This is my susupicion that the 4pin molex insnt seating properly will try it tommorrow. Will also inspect the 450w oem PSU.

Will report back.

keef66 11:32 29 Jan 07

my 6600 agp card runs quite happily on an Antec 380w psu and doesn't have an additional power connector.

I suspect your molex connector is not working for some reason.

Do you have any other spare connectors from the psu?

It it sharing a power lead with another device via a Y-splitter?

Giggle n' Bits 13:30 29 Jan 07

will take of the case cooling fan 4 pin molex and swap with the one connected to the AGP card now.

Giggle n' Bits 00:10 30 Jan 07

to AGP card and this cured it. Must have been a poor connection from a molex connector not quite grassping the pins within or maybe a bad earth.

Thanks as always M8t gudgulf & keef66 you hit the nail !

keef66 09:32 30 Jan 07

It's always easier to diagnose other people's problems from the warm security of a working pc, rather than when you have your head inside your own, non functioning tin box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac