AIM Instant Messaging is it any good ?

Baskerville 09:35 02 Jun 06

Hi All,

Someone in the US (a friend)) has asked me to use AIM instant messaging to simply chat in real time, I don't use any instant messenger at the moment although my son has MSN, I use XP, have Sygate as a firewall, I use Avast.
Anyone have any experience good or bad using this software ?

Many thanks,

Baskerville.

johnnyrocker 09:38 02 Jun 06

much the same as any other, personally i use yahoo for voice and msn for camera.

johnny.

oldbeefer2 09:40 02 Jun 06

It's OK for IM, but not much cop for video (picture very small and can't be resized). I use it as it's compatible with Mac's iChat which my son in Oz uses. If you want video, Trillian works on the back of AIM, but you have to buy the pro version for 25$.

oldbeefer2 09:41 02 Jun 06

Forgot to add - download the 5.5 version - the later ones are a pain with pop-ups etc.

Baskerville 10:03 02 Jun 06

oldbeefer,
So Trillion works with AIM ? can I still talk in real time using Trillion and my friend uses AIM ?
Video could be useful to me as well as I do send video on occasion,

Baskerville.

Baskerville 09:57 03 Jun 06

Any good ?

oldbeefer2 13:48 03 Jun 06

Baskerville. Yes, Trillian uses AIM to connect so you have to set up an AIM user name for Trillian to work through. Not needed unless you want to video conference where AIM is not very good. If you just want to IM then AIM is fine.

oldbeefer2 13:49 03 Jun 06

p.s. If you just want to chat, then Trillian Basic (which is a free download) works fine.

Ade_1 13:55 03 Jun 06

I find AIM ok to use, i use it to talk to a friend who also lives in the USA, i find it fine just to chat, but the video isnt amazing...

SB23 15:14 03 Jun 06

I use it on a regular basis, although, as said before the video isn't brilliant, but to chat with, it's ok.

wolfie3000 18:43 03 Jun 06

Aim triton has spyware in it i know this because i installed it halfway through when installing i noticed it was installing third party software so i stopped it.

My advise either get your friend to install msn or download an older version of aim.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…