AGP4x or AGP8x ? I'm not sure....

OCS lover 21:01 23 Feb 05

Can anyone help me here please? I have been trying to find out what type of graphics card to buy for my computer. Would it be a 4x or 8x AGP slot on my motherboard. I have been to Dell's support site but this didn't really help. Intel's site wasn't much better. I also downloaded Everest home edition but this doesn't actually state what speed my AGP slot is. Maybe i am looking in the wrong place. I don't know!

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with 640mb ram. Chipset says it is 'Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller' on Dell's site and on Everest says 'Intel Brookdale-G i845G'

Thanks for your help in advance. Am off to work a night shift now so will probably reply to any posts in the morning.

Robby

cycoze 21:41 23 Feb 05

Neither !the Dell Dimension 2400 does not have an AGP slot , sorry.

cycoze 21:43 23 Feb 05

If you want clarification on that click here .

OCS lover 21:46 23 Feb 05

So what type of graphics card do i buy? A PCI type?

Belatucadrus 21:55 23 Feb 05

Looks odd, clearly MOBO has integrated graphics, but unusual for it not to have AGP slot. Still if it doesn't and one of the PCI slots are unoccupied you could add a PCI card click here
click here
If the Dell spec page is misleading and there is an AGP slot, it isn't going to make that much difference, AGP8 cards will work in AGP4 slots, just not at full speed, the speed difference isn't however anywhere near 2 to 1.

cycoze 21:56 23 Feb 05

Yes a PCI card if you have a spare slot.

Always worth taking the cover off to check for an AGP slot in case Dell used different Motherboards, agp is a brown slot normally above the white pci slots and set back slightly.

cycoze 21:57 23 Feb 05

And what Belatucadrus said.

Belatucadrus 22:00 23 Feb 05

If in doubt look at the motherboard click here for a picture, the AGP slot is the brown one with the latch at one end, shown outlined in white. The PCI is the white one shown outlined in blue.

OCS lover 16:29 24 Feb 05

Thanks to cycoze and Belatucadrus for clearing up my query. You've both been very helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…