AGP x8 and AGP x4 Cross Compatability

DN14 13:49 07 Jul 03

I'm wondering if someone can give me some advice. I am currently thinking of changing my processor and motherboard. The motherboard that I am currently considering buying supports AGP X8, however, I didn't really want to replace my current AGP X4 graphics card at this point. Therefore, I am interested to find out if a motherboard that supports AGP X8 is still compatible with AGP X4 standard graphic cards.

DieSse 13:52 07 Jul 03

IZZY 16:11 07 Jul 03

DN14, Hello..

Either an article or an answer to a query in the HelpLine section of one of the last three PC Advisor magazines touched on that very question and confirmed that an 8x slot will happily support a 4x Graphic card and vice-versa. Can't recall off-hand which issue but if I come across it again I'll post it in your thread.

Gaz 25 16:16 07 Jul 03

I agree with the above posts. Yes, motherboards AGP speeds are compatable with 8x, 4x and some 2x.

DN14 22:26 07 Jul 03

Thanks for the help and advise it looks like I can hold off splashing my cash on a new graphics card until I need too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…