AGP upgrade

Dorando 22:34 28 Jan 07

I have an ASUS P5A-B Super7 motherboard and an AMD K6-2 550MHz processor with 768MB of RAM installed. I currently have a Creative Banshee 3D 16MB AGP, as originally supplied, but I’d like to upgrade it and wonder if anyone can advise me of the most effective replacement (maybe second-hand) video card possible for the system I have. Many thanks.

brundle 22:36 28 Jan 07

Is the upgrade for a specific purpose?

keef66 10:40 29 Jan 07

I think you may struggle to find a card to fit your motherboard; I believe it has an AGP version 1.0 slot which is 3.3v. AGP cards now are 1.5v, and if you put one of those in, you'll fry your new purchase.

With a pc of that vintage, what do you wish to achieve by upgrading?

Dorando 22:19 29 Jan 07

I’d really just like fastest possible handling of Quicktime, Windows Media Player etc. as well as Internet graphics - I don’t need games capability. I’m hoping I can get a good video card upgrade for this old machine through Ebay, perhaps. I don’t want to throw the system out because it works well in most respects. The motherboard technical description says it has an Ali M1541 Aladdin V AGPset supporting up to 100MHz F.S.B., a 32-bit AGP slot, and AGP 1.0 Compliance Interface supporting both 1x and 2x speed mode with Sidehand Address Capability (– AGP 2x with Bus Frequency of 133 MHz and Bus Speed of 528 MB/s). Many thanks for your help.

keef66 09:26 30 Jan 07

That's definitely a description of the AGP 1.0 spec, so it is a 3.3 volt slot. I think you're definitely shopping on Ebay. Make very sure whatever you buy is a 3.3v card. Also try to get either a driver disk with it (unlikely) or a detailed description which will enable you to find and download drivers from the web.

If you do find a suitable graphics upgrade I'm not sure how much of an improvement you'll see.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5