AGP Slot Graphics v PCI Express Graphics Cards ?

Giggle n' Bits 13:43 29 Jul 05

Ok, I am going for it to build a new PC but looking at the Graphics Cards I see AGP x8 cars which I am familiar with and also there is PCI Express.

The pointer/s advice I need is, Is PCI Express the going trend and going to take over AGP slot cards or is AGP going to be around for many years and PCI Express isn't going to take of.

So in short will I be safer with a PCI Express based Grpahics card (& Motherboard).

Help Please.

961 14:07 29 Jul 05

PCI Express is the successor to AGP

However it will develop further as will motherboards when microsoft longhorn arrives

Giggle n' Bits 14:39 29 Jul 05

like the AMD Athlon XP CPU None 64 did ?

Completealias 15:09 29 Jul 05

Having a brief look around it seems AGP will still be supported for the time being at least but yes as more people move to PCI-E and it is improved then AGP will fade away at least thats what I think anyway

ACOLYTE 15:12 29 Jul 05

I cant see AGP dissapearing any time soon even with PCI-express moving in there are a lot of PC owners out there with AGP and i cant see them bying a new PC just for PCI-express.

Completealias 15:17 29 Jul 05

I don't think it will be soon but yes in time AGP will end up dissapearing

Mysticnas 15:32 29 Jul 05

...is to look on motherboard manufacturers websites, and have a look at their new line up of motherboards.

Keep an eye on it for a while. I think most of them now are only making PCI-E boards, BTX is the new standard too.

Graphics card manufacturers will continue to pour off AGP cards as there are still people who currently have AGP boards installed. I've just bought a new 6800GT AGPx8 card.

However, if i was to build a new system i'd buy a PCI-E board. At the end of the day, you have to sit down and think about what you're going to use the PC for, how much you have to spend, whether you'll be wanting to upgrade within a few years or buy a new system if at all.

If you're a speed freak, which you don't seem to be, then you'd just buy all the latest clobber you could afford.

In your case you're building a new PC, so i'd suggest moving to PCI-E. In theory, you'll be able to upgrade componentry for at least a year or two.

I'd look towards buying a BTX PCI-E system. Just keep an eye on the coming soon sections too.

Good luck! ;o)

Giggle n' Bits 16:37 29 Jul 05

Looks like PCI-E is the safest route.

I Thank U all !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…