AGP graphics cards: Will an 8x work on 4x M/board

Flopper 14:35 21 Nov 03

I am upgrading my graphics card to an NVidia GeForce 4MX 440 64 mb or 128mb version from a GeForce 2 MX 32mb card.
The m/board I am (possibly) buying takes up to 4x and is 'AGP 2.0 compliant' (whatever that means). My question is: will an 8x card work properly on a 4x motherboard, or will it 'downclock' or should I buy a card that does not specify any speed ?

©®@$? 14:39 21 Nov 03

it will work it is backword compatible

but the 8x card will only work at what the motherboard will allow, so if the motherboard is capable of 4x agp. then the 8x graphics card will run at 4x

Flopper 14:43 21 Nov 03

Thanx for that.
In terms of performance in modern games, ie, Wolfenstein, MOH, etc, to the naked eye will there be a significant performance 'deficit' if the card does not run at it's full potential, ie, runs at 4x rather than 8x. The main reason for me upgrading to a better motherboard, bigger chip and graphics card is so I can play these games in all their glory rather than having to crank the settings down because my current system is not powerful enough.

hugh-265156 14:54 21 Nov 03

you wont notice any difference between x4 and x8

an mx440 unfortunatly,will not be a vast improvement over your current card though.so you may not get the boost your hoping for.

a fx5200 would be a better buy i think.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:00 21 Nov 03

I think you will se a big improvement on speed and refresh settings your knew card will allow also it will have more features avalable to it because of the amout of ram it has onboard,and should be well good enough to run the games you mention.

Flopper 15:06 21 Nov 03

Thanks for the info everybody.
To huggyg71 in particular, if I go from a GeForce 2 32mb card to a GeForce 4 128 mb card will I see the 'boost' I want, bearing in mind I am going (hopefully) from a P3 600EB to a P3 1 Ghz, and possibly from 256mb 133 SDRam to 384mb of the same ?
If not I might as well save my pennies and go for a P4 setup.

hugh-265156 15:49 21 Nov 03

sorry Flopper,dont listen to me.the mx440 128 will of course be faster than your geforce 2,you will notice a difference between them.coupled with a faster cpu then more so.

i still think an fx5200 would be better though.

an mx440 128 card will set you back around £45-50(direct x8 and older technology) you can pick up the fx5200 card(direct x9 and newer technology) for around the same price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…