agp graphics cards for vista

sunny staines 17:20 05 Jun 06

Anyone seen NVIDIA or ATI graphics cards for AGP sockets that run the full aero graphis for vista.

looking to update but cannot find any [not into gaming but like the vista graphics].

mattyc_92 18:04 05 Jun 06

My old one did.

It was a "nVidia GeForce FX 5500"

sunny staines 19:48 05 Jun 06

did it have the following spec?

An Aero2 compatible card is a DirectX 9-class graphics processor that supports WDDM, Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware, 32 bits per pixel, and 64MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels.

mattyc_92 20:00 05 Jun 06

Not sure about the Pixel Shader (can't remember much about the specs)

But I know it worked, as I tried the BETA version of Vista on it, and the themes all worked ok.... Although abit slugish

sunny staines 20:35 05 Jun 06

do you think it was the card that was sluggish?

gudgulf 22:14 05 Jun 06

I have an X800XT and that is definitely good enough for full Aero effects........I've tried the Beta too and so I an sure of that.

For your reference any card that has hardware DirectX 9.0 support will be shader 2.0 compatible.

Best to look for a reasonably powerful,fairly up to date card with 256MB memory onboard.Say a GeFoerce 6600GT or ATI 9700 and upwards.

But as mattyc_92 suggests there is a wide range of cards that support Aero graphics.......lets face it that's one of the big changes and selling points in Vista and Microsoft wants as many people as possible to upgrade.So it is making it fully compatible with most medium spec and upwards pc's produced over the last three years or so.

Have you run Microsoft's Vista compatibility checker click here and click here

You might find,as I did that your graphics card is the least of your worries.....Vista wont work with AOL(yet) or my 18 month old printer for example.Hopefully things will change by the time it is released but peripheral device compatibility is potentially one of the biggest issues......oh and the checker makes no reference to all your installed programs!

sunny staines 08:16 06 Jun 06

thanks for the imput, I will run the checker tonight.

mattyc_92 11:03 06 Jun 06

Yes...

My System specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor (clock speed 2.5GHz)
1GB RAM
Two 160GB Hard-Discs
nVidia GeForce FX 5500 (now upgraded to a nVidia GeForce6 6600)

As you can see, my computer specs are, more than capable for most of the Vista editions...
So, I believe it was the Graphics Card that was the problem

As gudgulf has said, alot of hardware and software (and some ISPs) aren't yet compatible with Vista.
My "BT Voyager 100" modem isn't supported by Vista, nor was an old printer I used to use occasionally (as the ink was cheaper)

sunny staines 17:21 06 Jun 06

thanks for the reply I am looking for a nvidia 6600 series card as a result of yours &gudgalfs suggestion.

sunny staines 16:23 07 Jun 06

there seems to be various nvidia 6600 cards no can tell me if they support windows WDDM or 32 bits per pixel. I am looking at the novatech 6600 should that be ok?

sunny staines 16:38 07 Jun 06

novatech now say card is obsolete any advice on where to find a decent place to order a agp card with vista spec?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…