AGP GPU cards

Jim757 02:22 19 Jan 07

Hi all,

I am currently running an Athlon 64 3500 (Skt 939-Venice) with 1gb DDR RAM on an MSI K8N Neo Platinum M/B. I am very pleased with my PC and it is a very stable system....Sadly it looks like I am getting left behind in the ever evolving world of the PC as my m/b only supports AGP and not PCIe. I don't want to get rid of my trusty MSI board as I have a lot of faith in it and the know it like the back of my hand. My current GPU is a Sapphire ATI Radeon X1300 pro (256mb) and as most of you may know, it isn't exactly the fastest of cards. I was looking into the X1950pro AGP (512mb) but am concerned about the PSU requirements - My Evesham PC only has a 300w PSU - though it is of a good quality. I would be grateful if anyone could advise me on the following:

1. Should I go ahead and buy the X1950 and upgrade my PSU?

2. If I decide to buy the card without a PSU upgrade, will my PC fry?

3. Failing that, are there any good 256mb AGP cards out there that are good performers (I always go for ATI cards, but am open to nVidia options too)

Any response would be very much appreciated....!!

James.

keef66 11:22 19 Jan 07

You could try the card with your existing psu first, and it won't damage anything, but to be honest I think you'll have problems.

I'd go for the X1950pro and the psu upgrade required to run it. Don't know what they recommend for the card but I'd guess 500w and a good make.

Should keep you going for another couple of years

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…