AGP GeForce 7800gs 512mb and P4 2.67 Ghz ?

Arriach 20:13 09 Sep 06

Would this configuration be enough to play the upcoming Crysis game (follow on from Far Cry), or would my CPU melt ?
According to most computer gaming magazines, any CPU with (only) one core now belongs in the Stone Age, especially in relation to modern games.
Is this true or an attempt to make us all try to keep up with the Jones´s ?

DieSse 20:29 09 Sep 06

With it not being released yet - you'll probably never know until you try it.

Even the latest games will likely run on a reasonable system, with some of the parameters "toned-down".

wolfie3000 20:31 09 Sep 06

Gfx card shouldnt have a problem but you may need some more memory 1GIG if possible.

skell 20:56 09 Sep 06

as long as your system meets the minimum specs for the game you should be able to play the game without any probs, albiet, possibly not on full settings though.

I wouldnt worry too much about you cpu at this point, but like wolfie3000 says, upgrading your memory is something i would consider if i was you. 1gig is the minimum amount of ram recommended for todays games.

your Gfx card should produce enough fps to play the Far cry game smoothy and will possibly be ok for Crysis, too. Again though, you may need to reduce the game settings.

wait and see how your system runs with the game when its released. is there a demo out yet?

gudgulf 21:11 09 Sep 06

Here are the requirements for Crysis:

"Minimum Requirements

CPU: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz
Graphics: Nvidia 6600/X800GTO (SM 2.0)
RAM: 768Mb/1Gb on Windows Vista
HDD: 6GB
Internet: 256k+
Optical Drive: DVD
Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP

Recommended Requirements

CPU: Dual-core CPU (Athlon X2/Pentium D)
Graphics: Nvidia 7800GTX/ATI X1800XT (SM 3.0) or DX10 equivalent
RAM: 1.5Gb
HDD: 6GB
Internet: 512k+ (128k+ upstream)
Optical Drive: DVD
Software: DX10 with Windows Vista"

You cpu is just below the minimum spec and the Gainward BLISS 7900GS+,which I assume is the graphics card you are talking about meets the recommended requirements.

All in all,with the increase in memory already suggested in this thread you should cope with your existing system plus the 7900GS+

I've recently added one of those Gainward cards myself.....and it flies!!!

It certainly isn't hampered by the AGP bridge and matches the performance of it's PCI-e 7900GT brother.What's more the 512MB video ram certainly helps with games like FEAR and I would imagine Crysis will be a video ram hungry beast.

On the other hand games like Crysis are going to make me seriously consider making the jump to Dual core/PCI-e/Vista/DX10.......errrr...if only I can find a spare £1.5k or so :(((

Arriach 07:59 10 Sep 06

Thanks for the info´.
With reference to the minimum requirements, the 2.8Ghz level seems to be cropping up with a lot of applications recently, not just games like Crysis.
I have 1024MB DDR-400 RAM installed on my machine, not just because of games but for Adobe Photoshop as well. Photoshop eats RAM like a hungry tiger, you just can´t give it enough...
Back to the graphic card, (yes, you were right, I did mean the Gainward 7900GS)- I´m just a bit concerned that I´d be putting a Ferrari engine in a Robin Reliant, if it would really get me anywhere.
Crysis, as you have rightly said will run on DX10 which is only available for Windows Vista, which in turn really needs a double core CPU. In turn the Conroe chips require different boards, different RAM, PCI-e graphics, different hard drives.......I´ll have to rob a bank.

gudgulf 12:29 10 Sep 06

I am running the Gainward card on a 3.2GHz P4 with 2GB RAM.

It's quicker than yours but not by a huge amount.

The thing is you wont see the sort of results you wouls like in any of the Benchmark tests as they are nearly all partly reliant on the cpu for the overall result.

BUT...in modern games nearly all of the performance limitation comes from the cpu.Putting a very fast graphics card in your pc will allow you to run all the eye candy and decent resolutions/antialiasing/anisotrophic filtration settings with the most demanding games.

Read this click here to help you decide,and this click here

Both articles should help......they certainly helped me decide to splash out £250 on the Gainward BLISS card rather than five or more times that on a new pc.Especially as the upgrade was for games only...my pc is plenty good enough for all my real world applications.

You might need to upgrade the psu though to one with 400W or more if yours is significantly below that value.

Arriach 14:17 10 Sep 06

Thanks for the links to the articles - very interesting !
I´ll probably stick to my agp board a little longer and whack the Gainward BLISS card in. The problem with upgrading my RAM to two gigs is that I´ve only got two RAM slots, 2x512MB and would have to buy a new 2x1 gig set. (Don´t you just love it !)
Do you know if there´s a silent version of this card ? - My system is in our bedroom as I often use it to watch the football live tickers, if it´s too loud my wife tends to throw a wobbler !
For that reason, all the components in my machine are soundproofed or very quiet. A quiet but powerful card would therefore be perfect.

gudgulf 14:59 10 Sep 06

The card is as near as possible silent...it features an Arctic cooler which runs much quieter than the fan fitted to the basic version or true PCI-e 7900GT.

If you want one I would snap one up..they are probably a limited production,and as no-one else makes anything in AGP flavour that is anything like as fast,or comes as standard with a "quiet" cooler and 512MB of very fast video RAM there is no alternative.

The use of the Arctic cooler does mean that the card takes up 2 slots at the back of the computer.

It's not branded as Arctic on the Gainward card of course but this is the cooler fitted click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…