AGP card, How to pick one that fits?

Dorsai 10:13 01 Jan 05

Hi,

I need to get a new GFX card, as my current one, 3D Prophet 32Mb 4000XT, is playing up. I am not really looking for an 'upgrade'. I just want a replacement for a faulty part, and that the replacement is not a 'downgrade'

My manual says my board is 'AGP 2.0 Compliant', and supports 4x(1.5v), 2x(3.3v) and 1x modes.

However i have read threads from those who have bought a new card, only to find it will not actually fit into their Mobo, and other threads where it will fit, but not work. Looking on google i can see at least 4 different AGP slot types.

When brousing on Dabs web site i can't work out what to look in the spec's, to tell if the card is Ok for use on my PC.

Are all 4x AGP cards the same 'slot' type?

Will and 8X one fit/work, or not?

I have seen this, click here but have no idea if it will fit. if it will fit/work, I am also assuming it will offer at least as good performance as my current card.

AndySD 10:32 01 Jan 05

Since your MoBo supports AGP 2 that card should fit. click here

rickf 10:33 01 Jan 05

No reason why it wouldn't.

sidecar sid 11:09 01 Jan 05

This may help(or confuse the issue even further)

click here

Gongoozler 11:18 01 Jan 05

For a very good basic card at a very good price look at these from DABS

click here

click here

Dorsai 11:46 01 Jan 05

So, if i understand it right, I should be Ok using an 8x card in my PC, it will just run at 4x?

Now all i got to do is 'Pick a card'.

Gongoozler 15:31 01 Jan 05

Hi Dorsai, yes an 8x card will be ok with a 4x bus, and in real life (rather than benchmark testing) the difference between 8x and 4x is very small anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…