agp aperature setting

karmgord 17:14 07 Dec 05

what does the bios setting "agp areature" setting do ,i have a 32meg video card (not onboard graphics) and 750 meg of ram,my agp setting allocates 64 meg is about right,what effect on games would altering this setting up or down have?

GaT7 17:20 07 Dec 05

Here's one explanation click here. G

GaT7 17:23 07 Dec 05

And another from click here. G

Q. What should my AGP Aperture size be set to? How can I change my AGP Aperture size?

A. It should be set to half your system RAM if possible, and if not it should be set at some point below or equal to the amount of RAM that you have. However, it is possible to experience speed advantages of 2-3 fps from setting the AGP Aperture size to 256 regardless of the amount of RAM that you have , and there are some games that may have visual problems fixed by setting the AGP Aperture size to 256.

Beware that setting the AGP size too low (below 32) will actually disable AGP which will cause a speed decrease, although stability problems may be solved - see the 'My GeForce keeps on locking up. How can I fix it ?' question for more information. There are also some programs that have problems (stuttering for example) when the aperture size is set too high. Experiment and see which setting is best for your system and programs. It's possible that if you set your AGP Aperture size to 256 you will be able to load the 64MB texture test in 3DMark2000. You can only change this in your BIOS setup - it may be called something slightly different, so look for a setting that is measured in MB and can be set to values such as 16, 32, 64, 128 and 256. Different motherboards allow different settings.

karmgord 17:24 07 Dec 05

Tanks crossbow7 fantastic answer

Stuartli 17:57 07 Dec 05

I've always understood that setting a figure of 64MG (or in certain circumstances 128) was best all round and that other settings could be disadvantageous.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…