AGP 4x On Asus A7V8X

mcullum_DX4Life 20:30 18 Feb 03

Hello, i have a very weird problem. On my second computer i have just bought a Leadtek GeForce4ti4200 from Ebuyer, but it refuses to run in 4x mode. I have downloaded the latest BIOS update from Asus (1011 Final) but it still does not work. I have manually set it to 4x and tried "auto" as well but it still does not speear to be running in 4x mode.

It is the display properties that are telling me this, unfortunatly i have decided to test the new drivers (41.09) so these may causing the problem or incorrectly displaying the bus speed.

The sysytem is a AthlonXP 2200+, 512mb OCZ PC2700 Rev3.2 Ram, IBM Deskstar 120GXP HDD and of course an Asus A7V8X motherboard and a Leadtek A250 GeForce4ti4200.

Any help would be appreciated as i cant really say that i have ever come across such a problem before.

Oh, one idea that i have had is that the system is running on a 300wat PSU, and also has an Asus iPanel Deluxe, a DVD Rom, two CDRW drives and a Volcano 9 active heatsink for the CPU. I have an idea that it may be that the power is being drained by the other devices and therefore enough is not getting to the AGP Bus itself.

All help much appreciated ;)

mcullum_DX4Life 21:11 18 Feb 03

Removed all power connectors from hardware and turned speed of fan down but it still says 2x in windows :(

Going to download the latest Hyperon drivers from via.

ulrich 21:11 18 Feb 03

I had this problem with the same card, I reinstalled it and lo and behold I got 4xAGP. I also find the Nvidia 30.82 drivers run better on my pc which is similar to yours except I have the Asus A7V333 MB. I have dx9 also. Let us know how you get on.

mcullum_DX4Life 21:28 18 Feb 03

Ill try re-installing it. Put the drivers back to the 30 series. I have DX9. Reagrds, Matty ;)

mcullum_DX4Life 21:56 18 Feb 03

still no luck :(

quote from 3dMark 2001 - 1x, 2x, 4x (2x enabled) - yet 4x is selected in the BIOS.

goonerbill 22:43 18 Feb 03

looking at the asus web site that it is a VIA chipset. try the latest VIA drivers hyperian, had a similar problem with my gigabyte kt400 ga-7vax and they fixed the problem.

may fix yours

mcullum_DX4Life 23:04 18 Feb 03

ive tried the new drivers and tons of other things but to no avail :(

it works wen i select 1x and 2x but wen i select 4x is just runs at 2x. i have even updated the bios to the new beta 1013.

mcullum_DX4Life 23:33 18 Feb 03

After trying dozens of different things, it turned out it was the card itself! So i had to do a very risky BIOS update on the card, and it was successful. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me with this one, and please beware anybody that has got one of these "offer" cards from ebuyer that if you have the same problems, you will need to do a BIOS update.

Obviously the cards are old stock and they have just thrown in the latest driver disc. They prob made them ages ago and some will have a "faulty" BIOS like mine. Still an exceptional price for a great little card :)

Incidentally, my memory speed is clocked at 513mhz and ti4200's are supposed to be 500mhz lol :P

Regards ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…