jesta 20:47 09 Aug 04

i have a shuttle sk41g nd i am finkin of puttin a graphics card in 2 play doom3 but i am nt sure wt is d maximum d pc can take,can u help?wt does agp mean nd wt does 2x,4x,8x mean?thanks in advance

johnsims 20:48 09 Aug 04

go to shuttle website. The answer will be there, if it is not in the manual supplied with the machine.

CurlyWhirly 22:10 09 Aug 04

AGP stands for Accelerated Graphics Port.
2x,4x and 8x AGP refers to the maximum bandwidth that the graphics card can work with.
Oldish cards work on 2x or 4x while the latest cards use 8x but to use 8x your motherboard MUST support it and if you haven't got a modern motherboard you may be out of luck!

AGP is gradually being replaced with PCI Express just the same as 64 bit processors are gradually replacing 32 bit ones.

jesta 22:18 09 Aug 04

thanks people for helpin.does anyone know the best graphics card from nvidia nd radeon dat is compatiable with a AGP 4x.

CurlyWhirly 22:46 09 Aug 04

I am almost sure that 8x cards are backwards compatible with 4x but you won't get the maximum benefit out of the card due to the limited bandwidth.

jonnytub 22:58 09 Aug 04

confirm curlywhirly's advice, they are compatible and you'll barely notice the difference, also usefull if you upgrade your mobo in future. If it's graphics card advice you want check this thread click here and also bear in mind you have a small form factor case, will heat build up be an issue??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…