Agnitum Outpost firewall, free version-Any good?

dagwoood 21:37 10 May 04

I have noticed that some forum members recommend the Agnitum firewall but don't know if they refer to the paid version or the free version(ver.1.0).

Is the free version any good? Is this version as easy to configure as the full paid up version purports to be?

I've been using Kerio(after ditching Zone Alarm, sick of the True Vector service crashing)for a couple of weeks now, but you have to be careful how you configure it and it seems resource hungry.

I'm changing my h/d, so wandered if Outpost v1.0 would be any good or whether to stick with Kerio when I install firewall s/w on my new h/d.

Cheers, dagwoood.

hugh-265156 01:14 11 May 04

i always had true vector errors/crashes with a previous version of zonealarm but i did like its ease of use.

i switched to the free version of agnitum outpost and used it for about a year.

it is a good firewall but can be quite tricky to set up all for tweaking but it started to get on my nerves after a while as it was leaving ports unstealthed and no matter what i did could not stealth them.not for the faint hearted in my here have a read of the guide to using and see what you think click here

im now back with the latest version of zonealarm and it doesnt give me any problems at all.

dagwoood 01:52 11 May 04

Thanks again for the advice. Can understand, after reading your thread, why you gave it up!!Also, after having a quick look at the user guide, it doesn't look easy to configure(looks harder than configuring Kerio). I think I'll give it a miss.

Don't know now whether to install Kerio on my new h/d, see what Sygate has to offer or give Zone Alarm another whirl. I should really be grateful that good free firewall software is readily available.

I'm really lucky that you don't charge for your advice, as I'd owe you a fair sum by now.

Cheers, dagwoood.

hugh-265156 02:58 11 May 04

there are lots of threads on true vector errors click here

my problem with it was a conflict with my graphics card believe it or not lol.the latest version works fine for me so far touch wood.

its very important to uninstall all traces of zonealarm,especially if you are going to try a latter version or the pro version click here for how to do this.

i would give it another my opinion its worth a try as when its working there is nothing to beat its ease of use.

€dstowe 06:12 11 May 04

The free version of Outpost is no longer free or, if it is, it won't be for very long.

Agnitum are sending messages to those who attempt to update the free version saying that they must upgrade.

Forum Editor 06:50 11 May 04

ZoneAlarm Pro and Outpost (free and paid versions), and they both have their strengths and weakenesses. Outpost's outstanding feature is that it's open source - you can develop it yourself - and that's a distinct advantage for someone who wants to tweak performance.

On balance, ZoneAlarm is probably a better choice for the average user - it's easy to set up and does what it says on the tin. True Vector shut-downs are a problem - they happen too often for my liking - but you can't have everything.

dagwoood 12:42 11 May 04

huggyg71, thanks for some more advice. My h/d change will involve a clean install of my o/s, so there obviously wont be any vestiges of ZoneAlarm there to cause any problems.

€dstowe and F.E., thanks for the extra input about Outpost.

I think I'll install the latest version of ZoneAlarm and see how it goes. If it does start to play up, I'll just try something else again.

Cheers everyone, dagwoood.

GaT7 12:56 11 May 04

dagwoood - you may be interested in this recent freeware Firewall Group test: click here.

dagwoood 13:17 11 May 04

Crossbow7, thank you for the link. The article makes surprising reading(i.e.zonealarm doesn't score that well).

Cheers, dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…