Aging Epson Stylus 870, some quickie questions?

Diemmess 29 Dec 11

How old is this model please I can't find when I bought it?

Has recently developed a bad trait of tiny but visible lines over the entire print regardless of colour, suggesting head blockage or failure?

Put 3 A4s through it yesterday (Christmas junketings, family stuff), all show this pattern, the last no better than the first. Head cleaning made no difference. Son spotted it right away, I needed close-up lens. Is this terminal (Yes--- I mean the printer) ?

All in all is it time to give it away and buy a new printer?

I use a mono laser for most things I do at the desk. Footprint as small as possible (stored in cupboard when not in use. Not interested in an all in one, so if I have to replace it the obvious question is - What should I buy?

Woolwell 29 Dec 11

Reviews on the 870 are dated 2000. So if it is that old it has done sterling service. Fairly sure that the print head is built in so no replacement of it possible.

Problem with replacement is the infrequent use and stored in cupboard meaning that if it is an inkjet then the inks are likely to dry up/clog due to non-use and result in frequent cleaning. Incidentally is this the cause of your problem?

What colour printing do you do? If photos perhaps use an online photo printing service instead and not buy a printer.

SparkyJack 29 Dec 11

Had block or failing? That is the question Good purge of the head by using a head pump device Remove cartridges attach tube to spigot and pump the cleaning fluid in and out or leave to soak.

I made such a device with a refill syringe and fishtank airline tube and have posted the detail here many times. I gather such a kit can now be purchased = likely place - Ebay Meanwhile I will search for the file and post it if found,

SparkyJack 29 Dec 11
  SparkyJack 29 Dec 11

Well that link took me back to PCA

try this one

[http://tinypic.com/r/wvy62f/51

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message