Agfa scanner problems

Bronica 17:09 08 Aug 04

I have an Agfa 1212u scanner on a Windows XP system. I downloaded XP drvers and it has worked fine for 12 months. I now have a problem, when I try to use it I get a message saying please connect or switch on the scanner. I have check device manager an it has the message: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still have the same error.
Anybody got any ideas?

safemode 17:16 08 Aug 04

reinstall usb drivers, then scanner drivers

Bronica 17:43 08 Aug 04

I have a list on USB devices

3 USB Root Hubs

2 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controllers

1 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

1 USB Mass Storage Device

and one fof a HP film scanner

The Agfa Scanner appears under one of the USB root Hubs but which usb drivers should be reinstalled and could this cause other devices to stop working?

Bronica 17:52 08 Aug 04

I have tried both removing and reinstalling the driver and removing the scanner and reinstalling from scratch but still get the same error in device manager.

Bronica 22:53 08 Aug 04

I have tried everything but still have the same problem anybody got any thoughts?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:05 08 Aug 04

uninstall scanner and reboot with scanner connected and switched on.

xp should find new hardware on reboot and instal drivers.

Stuartli 10:57 09 Aug 04

Don't know where my posting disappeared to...:-)

Maybe to do with yesterday's very slow website.

Stuartli 11:02 09 Aug 04

The only other thing is that a scanner takes quite a bit of current, 100mA for the Agfa according to Device Manager.

That's why I run my 1212u direct from a system USB port (plus its mains adapter connection) and all other devices from a powered USB hub.

Bronica 17:46 09 Aug 04

Hi Fruit Bat
XP does find the scanner and installs the drivers but then in device manager there is still the yellow ? and the same error code 38.

woodchip 17:56 09 Aug 04

You could try Put you XP disc in the Computer and at Start\Run type SFC /SCANNOW

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:02 09 Aug 04

FROM MSOFT SITE

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

The driver could not be loaded because a previous instance is still loaded.
Restart the computer.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

Ran through trouble shooter got 'sorry unable to solve your problem'

So lets try something radically differnt

Uninstall--- run reg seeker Regseeker click here (hopefully this will find driver not being used in registry and clear it)--- gre install driver.

Best of Luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…