Ages to boot, explorer crashes-all of a sudden???

andyj007 11:37 01 Jan 05

Hi.
Hopeing someone cant give me some pointers.
windows xp pro sp2

PC was running fine last night.
when turned on this morning it hangs for about 5mins after window xp pro flashes on screen. screen is blabk for 5mins and then it loads.
seems as though i can log on but anything to do with running a programme it takes ages for that program to load? also its virtually impossible to run explorer.
I can use the start menu and i did this to restore to two days ago but the same thing happens on boot up?
i tried downloading the latest vil stinger although i can view it it gets stuck as i try to download (i guess because it wants to use explorer to save the file?)

I even tried turning the cloak back before 01-01-05 as thought this could be some kind of 2005 virus thingy.

any kind soul have any thoughts or things to try?

regards

andy

howard60 11:40 01 Jan 05

run spybot and adaware as a last resort sytem restore.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:30 01 Jan 05

REpair XP
click here
Type
sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.

This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

LinuxPenguin 17:30 01 Jan 05

uninstall sp2. if that doesnt work system restore to about a week ago. failing that clean install xp

andyj007 22:46 01 Jan 05

Okey managed to get spybot to run without using explorer. located it through serach from the start bar.

Ran it and it picked up a few things.
Computer now running fine

Thank you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…