Agere lucent 56K Modem XP problem

Feck 16:44 26 Nov 03

Just bought a new PC with the above modem, have followed the installation guide for the drivers, but it will not work. It looks like it is not dialling out as the irritating noises that modems make when they start are not being emitted. I know the line and connection is ok because I have tested them with another PC. Does anyone have any advice or can point me to a good website.
Thanks

alcudia 16:47 26 Nov 03

click here might help.

Stuartli 18:01 26 Nov 03

In the configuration have you enabled Always Dial My Default Connection?

Have you selected the correct ISP phone number? Does it need a 1470,, before the phone number (requirement of CLA)?

Is dialup set for Tone rather than Pulse? Have you checked for problems with the modem in Device Manager?

There are many possibilities, including the Networking protocols, and it will be a question of elimination until pinpointed.

misery 19:23 26 Nov 03

I seem to recall the actual modem is a Zoom. go tho there site and get the driver. If I remember you have to install the driver before installing the modem, so I guess you'll have to take your modem out of the case!

A_World_Maker 19:43 26 Nov 03

You might have the sound turned down or muted for the modem, or maybe it didnt install its wave drivers?..... are you sure the modem isnt connecting?

Stuartli 10:21 27 Nov 03

The ISP dialup panel would indicate if the modem was dialling out and also that Username and Password were being checked once/if connected.

Feck 10:45 27 Nov 03

One further thing, when I try to initiate, say AOL, the Modem clicks once then there is no more. don't know if this further info helps.
Martin

A_World_Maker 20:31 27 Nov 03

Just looking at things from a broad perspective, with my suggestion of the muted sound, as Feck did say "It looks like it is not dialling out as the irritating noises that modems make when they start are not being emitted." A potential problem that might rear its head later.

gudgulf 01:44 28 Nov 03

I have used the same modem on my pc -----mine did not make the same racket that the modem i use now does!

However just because it was silent didnt stop it from connecting-------unlike a thunderstorm which stopped it for good!

You do need to install the drivers first with this modem. Try uninstalling the drivers and then physically removing the modem--Then reinstal the drivers and refit the modem,reboot and it should work-----------probably silently.

Feck 08:52 28 Nov 03

Tried again last night, did get the lovely DE DI DO DE DE DE DI noises etc, then it reported no dail tone. I check with a phone and there is a dial tone. Does this point us towards anything further ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…