Age of Mythology and a stupid graphics card!

Fateful Shadow 18:56 13 Dec 03

I'm not at my friends house at the moment, so I can only give you what I can remember.

My friend has recently brought Age of Mythology by Microsoft, and it won't work. Every time it starts up it says "Initialisation failed." I checked the Microsoft Knowledge base, downloaded DirectX 9 for them, and found out that his graphics card isn't compatible with DirectX 9, and therefore he is unable to play the game.

The make of the graphics card is S3Graphics ( click here ) I have been to the website to try to look for a driver, but there are lots of warnings about the place and most of it looks like "Download the wrong thing and balls up your computer!"

His mum is an accountant and also uses the computer, so I'm not that willing to download anything as it may enrage her and see the end of me!

Can someone tell me if downloading the incorrect graphics driver will result in a reformat, and if all the warnings on this site aren't as bad as they seem to be???

Fateful Shadow 19:15 13 Dec 03

I've just searched the web and a lot of people said that disabling and enabling 3D acceleration would make it work. I rang him up, he tried it and it still doesn't!

Any ideas? :)

Fateful Shadow 19:20 13 Dec 03

...Or can someone just tell me that if I download the incorrect driver something horrible will go wrong??? (I hope I'm wrong btw!)

you know what model the graphics card is?

Trackrat 19:44 13 Dec 03

On looking at your link it says that your graphics are integrated and advises you to get upgrades from the motherboard manufacturer website.
If you are using ME or XP set a restore point before trying the updates.

Fateful Shadow 19:48 13 Dec 03

Prosavage or ProsavageDDR. Microsoft know about the problem here... click here;en-us;331147#11

Thanks for the advice so far :)

VoG II 19:49 13 Dec 03

If XP there is the option to roll back to previous driver - if you can see the screen that is!

-Beb- 19:50 13 Dec 03

One of my friends had exactly the same problem with an o/b S3 graphics. His PC was brand new so i was a bit scared at the warnings, but if you find the modle of the graphics thing, then it's quite easy to find the correct driver.

I agree those warnings do scare you a lot, and Id reccommend backing up the PC with something like Norton Ghost, which is very good, unlike XPs restore fecility, which conveniently decides that it's corrupt when you REALLY need to use it... thanks micro$oft...

Fateful Shadow 19:53 13 Dec 03

I've just talked to a friend who happens to know quite a bit about computers, and he says that the chip will be in the motherboard and not on it's own. Will this affect anything?

stinkyeye 19:53 13 Dec 03

YOU would probably get an annoying warning threatening death&destruction before it would install any way.you could try installing them in safe mode, that sometimes help. goodluck

Fateful Shadow 20:02 13 Dec 03

And I thought computers were supposed to be user friendly!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…