After a Windows Restore

kronyboy 23:26 03 Nov 06

Laptop would crash trying to start windows. I ran a windows restore expecting an option to keep old data - it didn't happen. I now have a machine that boots up but is there anyway to retrieve the old photo's?

johnnyrocker 23:56 03 Nov 06

system restore should not have removed them, have you tried a search?

phnny.

kronyboy 00:04 04 Nov 06

It looks like it has done a reload of Windows rather than a restore of corrupted files to enable boot up. Have gone in to dos to look for hidden files or renamed files? Changed file options to view hidden files when in windows? Nothing. Cheers

johnnyrocker 00:06 04 Nov 06

if that is the case i doubt you will have much luck, did you use a disk as opposed to the os system?

johnny.

kronyboy 00:14 04 Nov 06

Put the restore disk in hoping it would give me some options - it did it said press R for options - i did and it restored the PC to working and booted up but no previous data in sight! oh [email protected] me thinks

johnnyrocker 00:18 04 Nov 06

yep fraid so (unless anyone knows different ) for future ref the correct system restore procedure is start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore, leaves all files folders intact and only deals with the os.

johnny.

kronyboy 00:22 04 Nov 06

The PC wouldn't boot - kept crashing as Windows tried to load. I tried safe mode, last good boot all sorts - boot with dos prompt - went in to the Bios nothing would get the PC up and running - so as a last resort used the disk?? Cheers though.

johnnyrocker 00:33 04 Nov 06

at the risk of being accused of useless after info, at the dos prompt would have been the time to run system file check ie sfc /scannow and insert disk when asked, sorry i can not be of much more help in this situation.

johnny.

kronyboy 00:39 04 Nov 06

Have made a note for future - cheers

Belatucadrus 11:04 04 Nov 06

Try click here PC Inspector, it's a free file recovery program and may be able to dig the photo's out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…