After a Win XP Repair - are progs still available?

Tinkey Winkey 11:37 06 Apr 07

My PC has stopped booting - it says please select the proper boot device despite pointing it to the correct HDD.

Was thinking of trying the Repair Console rather than a Reinstall because I need to save some invoices etc.

After a Repair will I still be able to open previously installed programs to save my work stuff?

Going to follow this as sen in a previous thread:
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 06 Apr 07

After a Repair will I still be able to open previously installed programs to save my work stuff?

Yes

select the proper boot device despite pointing it to the correct HDD.

Sounds like your MBR or boot files are corrupt.

Boot from the XP CD to recovery console and at the c:\windows propmt type fixboot
Fixboot Writes a new partition boot sector onto the specified partition.
You could also try fixmbr
Fixmbr Repairs the master boot record of the specified disk.

HappyTrucker 11:50 06 Apr 07

Near the end of that article you link to it says: "You should also find that your documents and applications have remained and you can continue to use your computer as normal".

There's more detailed (a little more complicated, but more detailed) here: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…