After virus removal something missing! Win XP Pro

paulgeaf 15:12 26 Feb 07

It is a very long story but let me tell you I have recovered a PC from a multiple virus infection which, although I am quite proud of removing it bit by bit until I got rid of all the components, it was part rootkit and various other win32 worm/trojan droppers, files that constantly reduplicated themselves, all security exe were stopped from running, even regedit and a whole lot more stuff which I have fixed (HOORAY!).
However, this has got me and I flatly REFUSE to do a reinstall. So can you help me....
In Folder Options, you will know, under the VIEW tab there is an area that says HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS. Inside that there are clearly set out TWO options named thus:

o. Do not show hidden files and folders
o. Show hidden files and folders

Now, I always have EVERYTHING I can showing.
The problem I have is that, instead of one or the other of these options having the checkbox checked, they BOTH have an EMPTY checkbox next to them!!

You might think, well just select one then.
I have done that and, no matter which one I select, the only difference I can bring about is for all the hidden stuff to be hidden after I checkmark any of the options!
So at the moment I am just backing the registry up before trying it, trying it out and then when it hides everything I have to just go back to this registry I am using at the moment which even though it has the empty checkboxes in folder options, at least it is somehow showing all the hidden stuff at the moment!

So my wuestion would be....HELP!
Are you a reg expert?
Do you know where I find the setting that the virus has changed - probably as part of its way of forcing me against any attempt to find it or remove it, like when it disabled taskmanager and the rest too.

I just want to fix this one thing and It's got me stuck so any advice is helpful.#
Thanks.

skidzy 16:08 26 Feb 07

Not sure if you have checked using the system file checker in xp.

Start/run and type sfc /scannow (note the space /)

You may need your windows disc if the os is not preinstalled.

Understanding SFC click here

paulgeaf 16:14 26 Feb 07

Thanks but SFC doesn't seem to touch registry corruption, just files as far as I know...

skidzy 16:32 26 Feb 07

Im not 100% on this script,as i have this feeling its possibly to do with OE.But certainly worth a try.

click here line 155

Terry Brown 16:47 26 Feb 07

You do not need to do a complete re-install.
Put the XP CD in the drive and select the repair option. This should remove any corrupted files and re-load fresh copies.If like me you have an older version of XP Pro (Mine is SP1). Go to the Microsoft site and download the BOOT disks (to run from floppy): You will need 6 floppy disks-- If you machine does not have a floppy disk drive on the outside, open the case and see if it has a IDE slot for a drive- borrow a friends drive or get a USB floppy for a few pounds-Run the floppies, put you CD in the drive and select the SECOND repair option (After the blue screen 'Terms & Conditions), press ESC to get to advanced). The only problem is you will lose your Email settings, Address book and any other Outlook mail or settings.
Terry

paulgeaf 17:51 26 Feb 07

Thanks for the replies.
I am pretty sure though that the repair option will do, like ths SFC process, and that is to check for bad or damaged FILES and not go through the registry no?
Although I suppose it could actually scan the default setup of the main system areas of the registry and fix them back to default settings, which is exactly what I want. So I might give it a try after all.
I do an image backup with True Image anyway beforehand so it is worth experimenting.
I'll get back later with an update ok!

skidzy 18:02 26 Feb 07

Did you try the Kellys-corner link i posted
Mon, [email protected]:32

paulgeaf 18:45 26 Feb 07

Yep. Just tried it...it made it so that BOTH options in the folder options area were checked but no change on the PC as far as hiding or showing hidden stuff goes.
:(

Burpie 20:20 26 Feb 07

I'm using Win XP pro.

Under Hidden files and folders I have "Show hidden files and folders" selected.

These are the reg keys as they are on my machine.
There's no harm in trying a merge with the registry and reboot, it might work and you have a backup anyway.

If you have trouble with the text I can send you the reg file directly.

Regards, Burpie.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden]
"Text"="@shell32.dll,-30499"
"Type"="group"
"Bitmap"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74, 00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,53,00, 48,00,45,00,4c,00,4c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,34,00,00, 00
"HelpID"="shell.hlp#51131"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\NOHIDDEN]
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced"
"Text"="@shell32.dll,-30501"
"Type"="radio"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000002
"ValueName"="Hidden"
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000002
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001
"HelpID"="shell.hlp#51104"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL]
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced"
"Text"="@shell32.dll,-30500"
"Type"="radio"
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"ValueName"="Hidden"
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000002
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001
"HelpID"="shell.hlp#51105"

woodchip 20:34 26 Feb 07

Repair should fix the Problem. But all XP updates will need to be re downloaded, Including SP2

paulgeaf 00:21 27 Feb 07

Wow Burpie...it worked matey!! I now have the ability to change to either setting and they work as designed to.
Hooraaah!!
Now. Lets get down to the nitty gritty and see if we can take this a step further!
I also have more virus related damage and it is annoying too, I was going to ignore it but maybe it could be fixed just as easily as most of the things I fixed were registry changes.
I have completely lost all ability to have an OPEN WITH in the context menu. I also never see the open with..recent programs dynamically created dropdown list that is sooo handy in XP pro. You know what I am talking about?
So..any ideas?
OOps. Tell you what, look out for a new thread with this copied into it.

For now I will mark this one as resolved and say a big THANK YOU to all especially Burpie!
Cheers folks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017