after virus problems

hugh-265156 21:44 22 Nov 03

hi all,i have xp home all up to date,avg also up to date.and have the blaster patch installed.

i clicked on a link earlier in the forum and avg said i had picked up a "script exploit" virus.

ran a scan and avg said it was in my temp internet files and could not remove it so i cleared out my temp files,turned off system restore and ran the scan again.this time it found nothing and i thought that was the end of it...

turned off the computer as i had to nip out and when i turned it back on i got as far as the logon screen.when i clicked my name all hell broke loose :-)

first of all i got "NT Athority System system is being shut down"(counts down from 60secs oh dear)

restarted and this time i get various errors like:

"avg set path failed"

"browseui.dll,unable to locate component"

system32\lsass.exe cannot be found"

C:\$mft cannot be found"

and on and on etc,basically it cant find anything and is saying my hardware has failed or i need to reload components?

i can get into safe mode no problems and am at the moment in safe mode with networking all ok.

unfortunatly i cant run sfc from here as the "rpc service is unavailable" i have run a checkdisk and all is well.

any help would be great.ta.

powerless 21:48 22 Nov 03

Uninstall AVG and install.

Repair Installation.

hugh-265156 21:50 22 Nov 03

ok will try ta.

hugh-265156 00:57 23 Nov 03

after a few hours of faffing about with trying to uninstall/reinstall avg and recovery console etc,was geting nowhere.

in the end i reloaded an acronis image i had taken a month ago and then downloaded a few updates(sorted in half an hour)

all is well,ta.

must remember to create an image more often and not click on "click heres" willy nilly in future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…