after sp 2 install missing files

jstaunton 10:25 01 Dec 05

after installing service pack 2 for xp prof. i now cannot add additional programs or change existing window options, always missing files. system restore no longer works, and ms photo editor will not appear even though i have reinstalled it. should i reinstall xp from disk over the top. and if i do will i loose anything.

xania 12:48 01 Dec 05

If you install over the top, it will only amend existing files. In fact, booting from the CD, you should be asked whether you wwant to replace or repair your existing system. My worry is whether the files have already been deleted or whether they are still there. I suggest you do a complete system backup before you try.

Skyver 12:54 01 Dec 05

Look in Add/Remove and see if Service Pack 2 is there, uninstall it, back into Windows - do a complete antivirus click here and spyware scan (Ewido recommended) click here, clear out all temporary files click here, then try SP2 again.

Binstock 13:08 01 Dec 05

I'm still asking for solutions to this FAT32 problem:

I have done a re-install of Windows 2000 SP4 on a small-disk all on its own, (the way I like to do it, - so that I can change the O/S without losing Data)- this little Disk was Formatted in FAT32.

However - the OTHER 2 disks in the Computer are shown in 'Properties' as 31.4GB; Not 80GB as they really are. THESE are Formatted in NTFS.

'Fruit Bat' Posted a promising solution, - which I typed-in using 'regedit'

Easy.......... but, after Reboot, as instructed, it hasn't worked. :(

First time EVER that some advice here has failed me........

Binstock

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…