after a re-install of XP

davewaway 06:13 29 Sep 04

I've just had to re-install XP and I can't find a way to recover easily all the programs I had installed prior to the problem. They are all still in 'program files' but they either state 'please re-install' or do nothing. Is there an easy way, short of a full re-install?
Also what happened to the folders on my desktop - it looks very blank and explorer doesn't seem to find them?

johnnyrocker 06:54 29 Sep 04

did you do a back up prior to re install

johnny.

davewaway 08:20 29 Sep 04

not as such - life's too short (maybe not now)
the question is more a matter of hope than expectation if you know what I mean

JonnyTub 09:29 29 Sep 04

if the programmes you have installed were from a disk, pop the disk in and if your lucky some of them might offer to repair the installation.

Noelg23 10:04 29 Sep 04

otherwise it that dont work it means re-formatting HDD and reinstalling XP that way..so be sure to back up files first if you can...

temp003 11:36 29 Sep 04

Can you access the .exe files from the Program Files folders? If you double click the exe files, what happens?

davewaway 06:19 30 Sep 04

some of them work others request a reinstall (especially microsoft products)- as I said it's not a major pain (lies) but if anyone knows of a fix it would be nice. I've still got ALL my previous data both on cdr and on the drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:41 30 Sep 04

Any program that installs files into the windows system / system32 folders and registry i.e. Office and most other MS progs, will have to be reinstalled from thier disks.

Thier registry entries will have been deleted when you reinstalled XP.

Sorry NO quick fix.

It's Me 12:25 30 Sep 04

I have all my programmes on a separate drive, put there when I installed them. I now assume that they would be useless in the case of a reinstall of XP. Is that correct.
With apologies to davewaway for using his thread to try to solve a worry of mine.

temp003 13:01 30 Sep 04

Your reinstallation of XP sounds like a repair installation, as you say all the programs inside the Program Files folder are still there.

I don't think this will solve your problem, but try updating Windows (which you must do anyway, since a repair installation brings all Windows system files back to original CD version).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:07 30 Sep 04

Some programs will work ok, others need registry entries so will have to be re-installed to get windows to recognise them. Re-install to same location

Good idea to have your progs and data on a seperate HDD your documents saved games etc. will still be there to access when you have re installed.

If you use the settings and transfer wizard then maybe you don't need to re install your progs after a new install of XP as this will save all your desktop settings etc.

If you install XP over the top of the original XP (same location)all you get is a repair of the system files and setings stay the same.

A clean install (gets rid of all the crap) means an re -install of your progs required. Clean install windows XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…