After re-install computer is slower

skew 08:30 24 May 07

Computer ceased working (XP Home) 768 Meg RAM. after saying there were corrupt files. Tried to use Recovery but that didn't work. I was advised to re-nstall XP Home and did so. Spent a couple of days downloading upgrades, re-installing programmes etc. Defragged, ran CCleaner, edited startup etc. (Keen reader of advice from this forum, as you see).
Expected computer to run a little quicker, but the opposite is true. Now takes about 7 minutes to Boot up. Programmes, which used to show some activity right away on clicking on the desktop icon now take about 30 seconds before there is any sign that they are loading. Once loaded they work well.

I know this is a perennial problem, but this slowness when I hoped for a little speed up is puzzling. Any observations or advice will be very welcome
Alex

birdface 09:01 24 May 07

Try the DMA method, Worked for me,click here

skew 21:16 24 May 07

thanks buteman. Will see if that improves things
Alex

sunny staines 21:18 24 May 07

Is BIOS set to optimise settings?

squillary 01:18 25 May 07

Have you reset your services in the same way you had them before? Is it Fruitbat who has an excellent list of links to effect some speed-ups?

No basis to this, but I have a suspicion that the order of installation (and loading at start-up)makes a difference after you reinstall.

Danoh 02:09 25 May 07

is it this thread? click here

squillary 02:18 25 May 07

Yes. Most is routine, but point e and below made a big difference to me.

Also, having automatic updates in the Security Centre is a system killer for me at start-up. I regularly run it manually instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant