after me?

dumb_haddik 18:43 17 Apr 07

Recently i read a news report in an online forum that people who had downlaoded some pinball game were being made to pay lots of money, as the game's makers had allegedly found them on file sharer sites, and obtained a court order to force their internet to give them the details and sent them letters to say they would have to pay over £300 in fines/court etc.

A few months ago, a friend of mine reccomended a program called Linewire to me. he was under the impression that you could get free songs legally.

I tried out the program and downlaoded a total of 8 songs with it. i am worried if people can track me and fine me for this.

The songs were by artists i had never seen in any shop ie. HMV and that was the only place i can find them.

I am sooo worried that people could trace this, can people keep records and watch what youre downloading with these programs can they? My friend, under the impression that it was legal downlaoded over a hundred songs and i am worried.

Jimmy14 18:53 17 Apr 07

Your ISP (Internet Service Provider) has the details of every file you downloaded. No-one else will be able to tell or watch what you download. Was the songs you downloaded ones that an artist published or were they "homemade" as you call it and can be distributed legally through a peer to peer network such as limewire although a lot of people take advantage of these programs and they are used for illegal purposes.

GEEKSTA 18:55 17 Apr 07

yes it is illegal to download song from limewire.
But know one can see what you are downloading.

GEEKSTA 18:56 17 Apr 07

sorry Jimmy14 , i didnt know your ISP knows what you download.

dumb_haddik 18:57 17 Apr 07

these songs were published by an artist, i can't remember his name, but they never reached a high posistion in the charts and were a considerable number of years ago, and i cannot find them in any normal record store or on itunes.

Also, if only the isp can watch what i am downloading how did this campany find out people were downloading this game? It was a pinball game if it helps, i cant remember the name.

thanks for your quick response

dumb_haddik 18:59 17 Apr 07

my friend says its someting called p2p can your isp see these files too?

dumb_haddik 19:03 17 Apr 07

sorry for posting 3 times in a row but when you say everything you downlaod, does that include every single file, picture webpage or video as well? also does anyone know how long isps keep these records?

thanks for your replys you have eased my worry

Legolas 19:10 17 Apr 07

dumb_haddik record companies and the like are more interested in the people who upload these files and allow them to be shared by thousands or people who are d/loading hundreds of songs so I doubt if they will be interested in your small misdemeanour. To be on the safe side do not d/l any more songs using limewire.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:11 17 Apr 07

"I tried out the program and downlaoded a total of 8 songs with it. i am worried if people can track me and fine me for this."
1 Don't worry about 8 tracks

"he was under the impression that you could get free songs legally. "
2. It is illegal to downoad tracks via a P2P such as limewire.

3 Limewire is more likely to cause problems as you download a virus or spyware purporting to be a music track.

4. ISP keep records of every site you visit for approx 5 years by law.

Advice
Remove limewire from your system.
Tell your mate to do the same
Stop worrying about 8 non descript tracks.

dumb_haddik 19:16 17 Apr 07

thanks fruit bat you've really heleped me i can be at ease now.

Thanks everyone else for your helpful posts too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant