After format, will not read cd to allow setup

Hi All
After using fdisk then format, I tried to install Windows. After the command prompt ..
" e:\setup ". I keep getting message
"Cannot read from "e"... abort - fail - retry
Any help please ? At wits end now.

Jester2K 10:20 13 Jan 04

Is the CD drive definitely the E drive?

Jester2K 10:21 13 Jan 04

Have you booted the PC with a Boot floppy and selected WITH CD-ROM SUPPORT??

Yes.. I have 2 cd`s 1 as "e" the other "f".
Have tried both drives, same response.
ty

Jester2K 10:24 13 Jan 04

"e:\setup "

tried

e:\setup.EXE

??

I have done format etc, from floppy.
Followed all usual commands. i.e
fdisk --- format -- start with cd support.
Just get same message

No Jester.. I`ll give that a shot. Ta m8

woodchip 10:52 13 Jan 04

When you start with Windows floppy disc it loads Ram Drive and CD drivers if you choose that Option. but you Drive letter moves from where it normally is. i.e. if you had Drives E:\ and F:\ they will now be F:\ and G:\ depending which drive you put the disc in will depend on whether comp can read it

Gongoozler 11:05 13 Jan 04

Hi stacky. You don't say what version of Windows, or anything about your computer. If you are trying to install using a Windows 98 boot floppy, then you should have the file MSCDEX.EXE in the virtual drive (probably D:). This is the generic cd-rom driver. If your system is very old (pre 1998ish), it may have one of the early cd-rom drives that don't work with MSCDEX.EXE, and have to have there own drivers installed.

jules52 11:12 13 Jan 04

I had exactly the same problem last week after format. If the error message is reading CDR 101 it means that the drive software is being read correctly but you may have a faulty drive. Do you know if it was working correctly before format? If you have a spare CD Drive knocking around it only takes a couple of mins to put the wires from one to the other. Its trial and error I'm afraid

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…