adware.backweb.a and a squared

phil.smith 10:54 15 Oct 07

asquared has found "adware.backweb.a" on my computer and advises me to deny access to it. Now that I have denied access I get an application error message " Backweb - 137903.exe - application error etc - memory cannot be read" everytime I start up. How can I stop this happening - it is a pain having to click OK each time?

Phil

FreeCell 11:08 15 Oct 07

Do you have any logitech devises? Some of them use a version of backweb to check for updates and this will be initiated on start-up which is why you get the message.

If you do then use A Squared to re-instate the program from quarantine if you can.

phil.smith 11:13 15 Oct 07

Thanks FreeCell

Yes I have Logitech camera and microphone.

Have done a restore to yesterday and it seems to have solved the problem.

Do I accept then that I need this Backweb.a even though a squared shows it as malware?

FreeCell 11:37 15 Oct 07

Seems that "malware" is a term used by some checkers as a term for suspicious software but that doesn't always means it is bad. In this case backweb is being used for a legitimate purpose but there are occassions when backweb could have been installed for improper purposes so the checker is right to warn you.

Logitech mice and keyboards have used a version of backweb but don't know about your logitech devices, but I suspect it is likely they do as well.

phil.smith 20:27 15 Oct 07

Many thanks FreeCell - set my mind at rest!

Phil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…