advpack.exe.jc! ---- ? ?

kimjhon 01:20 08 May 03

Hi
Does anyone know what this file might be,please.

advpack.exe.jc! ( the ! is part of the extension)

Found it in C:/Windows /Application Data in Win98SE.

Google and the site for file extensions show nothing.

DieSse 01:50 08 May 03

advpack.exe is the MS critical component installer. As far as I can see the jc! has no meaning at all but double extensions are often found in virus/worm/trojan files.

So I suggest at least you do perhaps a number of scans with your AV program with the latest updates, and one or more on-line scans, just to be on the safe side.

kimjhon 02:02 08 May 03

Thanks DieSse
Had scanned it with Norton but ref file 3 weeks old. Will d/load updates.
Better get it out of the bin. Sounds important.
Knowing about double extensions is what worried me.
Will try online checker also.
But why a number of scans, DieSse ?

kimjhon 02:21 08 May 03

Hi
Re advpack.exe.jc!

If there is no evidence it is a virus I was thinking I should still delete it and then try to extract it from the Windows CD.

Would this be OK and is it in the right place? I found the advpack.dll in Windows/System

DieSse 02:21 08 May 03

Sorry - didn't mean more than one with the same thing, just a number of different ones. try click here (free download for 25 days) too. Use it with the deepest value of heurustic scanning - it's particularly consistent at picking up all knowm viruses.

kimjhon 02:47 08 May 03

Me who should be sorry, DieSse.
I was a bit thick, there.

Scanned H/D with updated Norton,now.
Am a bit worried about having two anti-virus apps.
installed. Heard they can cause probs with opp. system. What do you think ?

DieSse 12:13 08 May 03

Yes - you're quite right - you shouldn't have two at once - but for a test it may be acceptable.

Otherwise - try isolating the suspect file by moving it to it's own folder that won't be accessed - and just see if everything runs OK.

Confab 12:20 08 May 03

Have you used this?

click here!

Regards

Confab 12:22 08 May 03

Sory you need to click the "click here" and put jc! in the file extension bit

Gaz 25 13:15 08 May 03

extensions, even with known file extensions set to unhide.

kimjhon 00:15 09 May 03

Have already looked there,Amber-Shortie. Thanks very much, anyway.

DieSse, have now run on-line virus scan Trend Micro.

The file seems to have taken the place of MS Critical update executive. But I dont think I need to run that again for 98SE. So I shall put it in a folder, as you suggest, just in case I forget and run Critical update again and naughty things happen.

Funny thing is. Last time I went for Update I tried to d/load a security patch for Win Media Player. Had to abort because Windows tried to d/load 12MB of Win Media ver 9.
Know what you're thinking, but I tried 4 times and I'm sure i was doing everything OK.
I dont suppose it could be some sort of tag windows has put on it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…