Advise on upgrading a notebook hard drive

Hearst555 22:27 26 Apr 05

Hi,

I have a Compaq Armada M700 notebook and I wish to purchase an upgrade on the system's hard drive since currently it can only hold a maximum of only 6GB. However I am a bit stumped on what type of hard drive in which I should buy for the notebook. An official Compaq Armarda drive costs well over £60, therefore I wish to buy an alternative which costs less than this. I heard that any 2.5" drive would fit into most notebooks and wonder if this is true with my particular notebook. Also any advice on what performance indicators I should look out for while buying these drives would be greatly appreciated since this is the first time I am upgrading a notebook. Many thanks.

dan11 23:07 26 Apr 05

Hi

I upgraded my Armada M700 last year. It had a 17gig hard drive, I changed this to a 40gig seagate momentus click here

£45 from click here

It took about 10 minutes to swap. i upgraded the O\S from 98se to XP.

A lot may depend on the bios version of the laptop as to what size hard drive you want to upgrade to. The machine has worked perfectly with the upgrade.

woodchip 23:13 26 Apr 05

You are better getting the same make drive as it may not work in the laptop. Some are like that, it's not like updating a Desktop you can just about stick anything in with regard so make, not sizen and it will work

Hearst555 23:49 26 Apr 05

Again thanks for the suggestions and comments that you guys replied. I decided to take the plunge and go for the Seagate HDD since the 8MB cache and price of the product were very appealing. I think the notebook should be OK reading the HDD since it only a few years old, so hopefully I shouldn't have problems with the system BIOS. Especially since I have recently upgraded the BIOS firmware so hopefully it goes to plan.

dan11 23:53 26 Apr 05

My stats and bios version. click here

Hearst555 01:01 27 Apr 05

Thanks for the snapshot for reference dan11. This is a snapshot of my current system setup using Belarc Advisor which includes my BIOS version (click here). The system is quite weak at the moment, but I recently purchased a memory module upgrade for the system to help speed it up which should arrive soon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…